• Davy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Pre­mium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #3575 by Davy
Meth­ods to breed Moina? was cre­ated by Davy
What´s yours meth­ods to breed Moina?

Tks

Please Log in or Cre­ate an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago 6 years 10 months ago #3576 by Deepin peat
Replied by Deepin peat on topic Meth­ods to breed Moina?
I only run indoor cul­tures dur­ing win­ter. We have two big tanks on the gar­den with trees grow­ing around and leaves falling in the water. There is nat­u­raly enough organic mate­r­ial for moina and you get great moina pro­duc­tion so I pref­ere to use this method. But before the win­ter I catch some moina and start indoor cul­ture in 20 litr buck­ets. I have tried dif­fer­ent feed­ing over time. When I started with moina I used yeast but it seemed to me that even though you can improve its nutri­tional value and have a great food, its quite a mas­tery to not over­feed and not to have a lot of debris in the cul­ture. The same are other dead foods like spir­ulina pow­der and such stuff. Since then I started to use dif­fer­ent live algae, becouse algae cul­tures give you the oppor­tu­nity to cul­ture Rotifera too and its almost impos­si­ble to kill the cul­tures by feed­ing. Dif­fer­ent algae strains are able to pro­duce dif­fer­ent nutri­ents under right con­di­tions. You can then pro­duce moina with high HUFA con­tent, CGF and nat­ural xan­thins. The prob­lem is that cul­tur­ing algae under such con­di­tions needs you to pre­pare the media for it and it takes quite a lot of “lab” work. But you could get some for­mer Chlorella strains that are pretty easy for cul­ti­va­tion, even dur­ing the win­ter when there is not much light becouse you can cul­ti­vate them mixotroph­i­caly or even het­erotroph­i­caly. Some other algae have this abil­ity too. Its always bet­ter to use more strains of dif­fer­ent algae espe­cialy when mostly feed with moina only, but of course I am sure that many aquar­ists can get by with one algae strain and not much else. Its just a ques­tion of how much effort you are will­ing to put in and how high qual­ity of moina you need to get.

In fact, every­thing we know is only some kind of approx­i­ma­tion, because we know that we do not know all the laws as yet. There­fore, things must be learned only to be unlearned again or, more likely, to be corrected.Richard P. Feyn­man
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Deepin peat.

• Davy
  • Davy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Pre­mium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 10 months ago 6 years 10 months ago #3577 by Davy
Replied by Davy on topic Meth­ods to breed Moina?
Tks!

How to cul­ti­vate Chlorella indoor? I’ve 5L buck­ets. Inter­aquar­is­tik sell it.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Davy.

More
6 years 10 months ago #3578 by Deepin peat
Replied by Deepin peat on topic Meth­ods to breed Moina?
Well, first get start­ing cul­ture. ALWYAS have another cul­ture under less inte­sive con­di­tions. Espe­cially when you are new to this, you will not be able to tell how close you are to the colapse of the cul­ture and that is some­thing that is very hard to explain. Water para­me­ters, type and dilu­tion of media, tem­per­a­ture and of course you par­tic­u­lar strain of algae play a role here. But if you take some of the water and start new cul­tures every time when you are going to bring you cul­ture to the big­ger bot­tle or bucket, you can let some cul­tures run and learn it this way. Then you need NPK fer­tiliser, the type used for the start of grow­ing period of plants (high in N, you need aprox­i­mately 6:1 N to P ratio). Use the min­i­mum dosage used for plants. If you are going to cul­ti­vate Chlorella with lit­tle to no light, you will need glu­cose, you can add from 0,2 to 2 g/​l. When you get the cul­ture, pre­pare the cul­ti­va­tion medium from aged tap water ( 12 days)and use 90% of medium and 10% of start­ing cul­ture. When you get the den­sity of the start­ing cul­ture, go on and repeat the process. If you are able to use trans­par­ent buck­ets, its bet­ter, you do not need light to cul­ture the algae but you need it for algae to pro­duce carotenoids and other valu­able stuff. Autotroph­i­caly cul­ti­vated algae are dark green to blue, het­erotrophic cul­ti­va­tion results in very light green or even yel­low color. What you are going to end up with is called mixotrophic cul­ti­va­tion. It means you have light dur­ing the day and becouse you added the glu­cose your algae will still grow dur­ing the night or lets be more pre­cise, when there is sim­ply not enough light. Another thing you need is strong aer­a­tion (big bubbles)to stear the cul­ture becouse algae would sed­i­ment. Even with the aer­a­tion, stear the bucket man­u­ally like once a day. If you have big enough density,turn of the aer­a­tions and let it sed­i­ment. Than you can har­vest with air tube and if you need fil­ter over some kind lab fil­tra­tion paper, but that lit­tle medium is not harm­full for moina at all, there are mixed meth­ods of cul­tur­ing Moina or Daph­nia with the algae in the same tank, but they are way less efec­tive that the other con­tin­u­ous cul­ti­va­tion meth­ods. Than just put in enough algae to the moina cul­ture that you are not able to see the bot­tom and be pre­pared to har­west and even trough away some moina, they repro­duce very fast when you add algae in their diet. You can still add yeast, but much less than before. My way is that I har­vest some moina, put it aside to another bucket, feed it with yeast and than rinse it and feed it to fish. This way you can encap­su­late moina with any­thing you want but you are able to have quite safe clean cul­ture with not much dead organic mate­r­ial and bacteriae.

In fact, every­thing we know is only some kind of approx­i­ma­tion, because we know that we do not know all the laws as yet. There­fore, things must be learned only to be unlearned again or, more likely, to be corrected.Richard P. Feyn­man
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Davy

More
6 years 10 months ago #3579 by 7 Zwerge
Replied by 7 Zwerge on topic Meth­ods to breed Moina?
Hallo,you two!
Uff, that seems very com­pli­cated and I still don’t under­stand all .…. I must make a reg­u­lar trans­la­tion by hand .….

I breed my moina in a much more sim­ple way, per­haps an unsafe way …

I have two fil­ter bot­tles, and I feed the moina food from Inter­aquar­is­tic.
I make a more than 50% water change every week in both tanks.

I take the moina out with a nau­plia fil­ter and then clean with tap water before I give the moina to my fish.

My cul­ture even has sur­vived my holy days, my fish sit­ter fed just every sec­ond day, and took each day a nau­plia fil­ter for each tank to fed the fish once.
Both fish and nau­plia survived…

with best regards,
Dorothee
Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago #3580 by 7 Zwerge
Replied by 7 Zwerge on topic Meth­ods to breed Moina?
Oh… I don’t know, why the foto is turned on the top … My orig­i­nal is normal .…

with best regards,
Dorothee

Time to cre­ate page: 1.067 seconds
X

Right Click is Disabled

Please respect our image usage rights and do not copy the images found on this web­site with­out prior per­mis­sion. Thank You — The Parosphromenus Project Staff