Forum

Parosphromenus allani

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #5760 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Parosphromenus allani
Hi Russ,

Thanks for that clear expla­na­tion. But it opens up other impor­tant ques­tions. I myself am in favour of hold­ing the next meet in Ger­many, I look on Ger­many as being the cen­tre of Parosphromenus breed­ing and sci­ence in Europe if not the world. How­ever, it appears from what lit­tle can­vass­ing I’ve done in Ire­land there is a reluc­tance to attend if it means fish can’t be brought back.

Could you tell me where the paper­work and expense was to be found? Was it with the air­line or cus­toms?

If it was down to cus­toms then it would be very easy for me to ful­fill and clear that obsta­cle. I have a licence and am reg­is­tered to import plants from around the world. Now I know it is for plants and doesn’t cover me for live fish, but that is just another step in the bureau­cracy of red-​tape and shouldn’t cause a prob­lem in get­ting it sorted. Hav­ing also, at one time, imported plants into the UK I am aware that the costs of doing so has become very pro­hib­i­tive in com­par­i­son to Ire­land. Any­way, I’m in the process of look­ing into this and will keep every­one updated on it. If the expense is down to cus­toms then I see this as merely adding around €1.00 or per­haps €2.00 to the price of a fish. The only other expense I can imag­ine is that Cus­toms in Ire­land may wish to see a health cer­tifi­cate issued by a Ger­man Vet­eri­nary to state that the fish are free from cer­tain dis­ease.

How do Trans­ship­pers of fish oper­ate in the UK? As far as I can see if I used a trans­ship­per in the UK to bring in a pair of fish from Malaysia or else­where then I would pay $5.00 for ship­ping each fish then pay the trans­ship­per what­ever postage charges are from them to me and pay the exporter the price of the fish.

Bill

The World is the insane asy­lum of the uni­verse

www​.species​-spe​cific​.com

Please Log in or Cre­ate an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #5761 by jalmj
Replied by jalmj on topic Parosphromenus allani
Hi Bill,
the prob­lem (for the UK at least)is that the air­lines refuse to carry them. Cus­toms is not a big issue, but to com­ply with cus­toms you have to fore­warn which flight is bring­ing in the fish.
It is these con­sid­er­a­tions which have led to peo­ple sim­ply ‘smug­gling’ in the fish in their hold lug­gage. How­ever, if one was pre­pared to drive across the rel­e­vant bor­ders then all is legal and above board.

john
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Bill

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #5762 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Parosphromenus allani
Thanks, John. I’m just wait­ing to hear back from Cus­toms and the Depart­ment of Agri­cul­ture here and will post the results.
Bill

The World is the insane asy­lum of the uni­verse

www​.species​-spe​cific​.com

Mod­er­a­tors: Jit
Time to cre­ate page: 0.128 seconds
X

Right Click is Disabled

Please respect our image usage rights and do not copy the images found on this web­site with­out prior per­mis­sion. Thank You — The Parosphromenus Project Staff