Forum

new mem­ber, brought 4 licorice gourami and am unsure of the species?

• Riley
  • Riley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #6287 by Riley
Hey I’m Riley, I’m a new mem­ber from Aus­tralia. I recently pur­chased 4 licorice gourami from a local fish shop. The species was not described, they were only labeled as “licorice Gourami”. Right at the moment there in a com­mu­nity tank but I am cur­rently estab­lish­ing a species tank for them to move into where I’m hop­ing they will be happy enough to breed. As far as I can tell there all females, non of them show as vibrant col­or­ing as the males shown in the species tab. My guess is there either phoeni­cu­rus, or opal­lios but I’m unsure. can any­one help me deter­mine there species and gen­der? advice on keep­ing these Gouramis would also be greatly appre­ci­ated. Thanks

Please Log in or Cre­ate an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #6288 by parosphr
Hi Riley.
Its dif­fi­cult to see species, — it could really be any species.
They do look female, but it can be dif­fi­cult with fish that have not been feel­ing well for some time, or are young and scared. I would wait a lit­tle to deter­mine if they are indeed all females. A male can be com­pletely with­out colours untill he feels safe and good.
If theres no male in the flock, then id is impos­si­ble, — unfor­tu­nately. Most species females look totally alike.

They need soft water, prefer­ably also low ph — but not ness­esarely lower than 5.5 — even 6 can be okay. If you are not expe­ri­enced black — soft water aquar­ist, — dont aim for too low ph. It more impor­tant to have it soft — you can achieve this by using RO water, or even some­times rain­wa­ter. But you would have to mea­sure this.
Oth­er­wise they appre­ci­ate no or low cir­cu­la­tion, addi­tion of leaves, (keta­pang or other), brown/​blackish water colours, hid­ing places (caves, small wood pieces, leaves.) Low light.
They need live food, — most will never take any other. This is one of the biggest challenges.

Many kind regards Helene, web­mas­ter at P-​P

• Riley
  • Riley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #6289 by Riley
Thanks for the help. I have a tank right now that’s sit­ting at around 55.5, just try­ing to deal with an algae bloom before I move them in. if one of them does hap­pen to be male that would be great, it would be unfor­tu­nate if they cant be id’d.

I have an already estab­lished Dap­nia magna cul­ture, but I’m set­ting up moina, vine­gar eels, and brine shrimp also, so hope­fully there diets taken care of. Because of laws in Aus­tralia about stand­ing water mos­quito lar­vae might be a bit dif­fi­cult to reli­ably main­tain but hope­fully ill be able to come up with some­thing.

Thanks again

• Kevin Mar­shall
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #6290 by Kevin Mar­shall
Hello Riley
There is a good rule of thumb when pur­chas­ing unsexed fish with regards to the odds of ensur­ing that you get a sexed pair With you 4 fish you have an 88% chance of hav­ing a pair if you buy 6 then its 98 % and 8 its 99% Of course it does not always work out this way as the LFS may only have a one sex group. How­ever its good to know but it does not stop me hold­ing my breath as to get­ting a good out come when I buy fish. Good luck they should soon colour up On the live food front I would also get a cou­ple of Grindal Worm cul­tures on the go and per­haps white worms too

Time to cre­ate page: 0.246 seconds
X

Right Click is Disabled

Please respect our image usage rights and do not copy the images found on this web­site with­out prior per­mis­sion. Thank You — The Parosphromenus Project Staff