The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

a few more pics

Home Forums Global Species a few more pics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chris glover
    Participant

hi all I tried to get some better pictures of my paros. im still stumped as to what species they are. I asked my lfs where I bought them from what species they where and they told me they where either p.deissneri or p. filamentosa. im pretty sure they are neither. im trying to get some females from them so I can encourage them to breed.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hi bigsheed.
    You are completely right, this is neither p.deissneri or p. filamentosus. 🙂 Its amazing that lfs’s keeps on calling them wrong names 🙂

This I think is in the line of p. blue line or p. sintangensis (sentang) – try look these up here under species — > other forms
    Beatiful males, and good photoes, hope you will get females, –
    can you get females which you are sure will belong to the same species ? from the same place ?

chris glover
    Participant

thank you helene. ive ordered some females from the lfs. they will be from the same source as my previous paros came from so it should be fine.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Typical P. spec. “Blue Line”. Not P. spec. Sentang (wrongly named “sintangensis”); they are less brightly coloured, often with a brownish-greenish tinge in the body colours. As I said often before however, the trade-given name “Blue line” is not unequivocous; the misidentification is a leading principle of the trade of these fishes. We have seen at least three different fish named “Blue line” already, probably more, and sometimes the spec. Sentang is mixed in, too.

But the fish of these photos is a clear “Blue line” from Sumatra. Obviously, the original habitat which was exploited mainly 2004-2008, is still existent, or there are other unspoiled habitats which have not been made known since. The fish was the mostly traded Paro in that times (wrongly called “deissneri” of course). For some years, hundreds of thousands of “Blue lines” filled the trade-tanks in Europe and northern America.

“Blue lines” are beautiful Paros of the bintan-type; maybe subspecies or even the nominate species bintan itself. The taxonomists keep silent about this; they have no arguments without genetic data. The first genetic data we have see no decisive differences to the nominate species. But this maybe provisional.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.