The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

A grade paper

Home Forums Global Scene A grade paper

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Oooops I meant alder cones. Sorry, I’ve never known too much about botanics…

Ok, I’ll add more leaves to cover ti completely – Thanks!

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Ok. Alder cones are just fine 🙂

Tautvilas Laureckis
    Participant

What about beech (Fagus sp.) nutshells? The leaves of this tree is OK, but waht about the nutshells, maybe they are better than leaves, or worthless? I always see a lot of them while collecting the leaves. But still prefer the leaves. Just because I don’t know are they suitable for paro tanks as much as alder cones, oak or beech leaves.. :huh:

source: http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprastasis_bukas#mediaviewer/File:Buchecker.jpg

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

I’m afraid the seeds of this species is moldy in the aquarium. does not contain humic substances that ensures that, for example, peat can not moldy. Will probably worsen rather water quality. 😳

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hello everybody,

As promised, I took some pictures of the tank…

Today, I collected some oak leaves. I was not sure wether I was already too late since most of the leaves must have fallen off the trees some weeks ago. I now have found two kinds of leaves. Some that were at the border of a forrest already on the ground, some a bit wet. I tried to get the ones that looked best, mostly dry and without big damages.
    The others I found were still at a branch and are a bit smaller than the others. However, they were completely dry and fell off quite easily.

I now dry them on the top of my large tank. How do you process your leaves? Can I simply put them into the tank or should I wash thom before or something else. Do you think they are OK for the tank even if some may have been on the ground for some weeks? I didnt take no rotten ones and tryed to get the rater “thick” ones…

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Here a picture of the leaves…

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I use them as they are, if you did not obtain them on some poluted locality, it should be fine to use them without any further action. Just if you see some of them to get mouldy, get them out and use the rest.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

When the leaves have been lying wet on the floor I wash them and dry them when dry on the floor then just like that in the aquarium.
    The best of the bottom of the aquarium is covered with leaves, otherwise reflect the animals on the ground that they do not like.

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hi everybody,

The project gets real… I am looking fortwarfst to getting some p.linkei soon.
    Now I am preparing the tank. I had an interesting conversation with my chemistry teacher and he gave me two sensors and a mainboard of the Pasco-Systems that is used in our School. Today, I testen some RO water and water from the tank for pH and EC.

The results seem to be convenient. I have Measured RO water pH 6.98 EC 0 microsim/sec.
    The has pH 5.02 EC 14
    What Do you think about the Sensors and the recults? Does anyone know the Pascosystem? Are These good Sensors?

Tautvilas Laureckis
    Participant

RafEg,
    it is glad to hear you are on a way. If you want to keep good water for paros, you should test it time to time, and prepare the water. You should read the forum and get to know a lot of important details. Everything is important. Good luck! 😉

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I am extremely happy to have gotten three beautiful P. linkei of Dorothee’s breedings. it seems like they have already gained some colour. The male shows some fine dots on the fins.
    I am incredibly grateful for Dorothee’s advises and explanations.
    Pictures will follow tomorrow.

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hi everyone,

finally, i could take some nice pictures of the linkeis.

They have been hiding all day long untill today. When i went to watch the tank, i saw one of the females swimming slowly through the tank. I found another one hiding under the filter.

I did only fed very few micro worms and artemia naupliae the last two days but never saw a fish eating. Today, i fed some micro worms and the female in front finally ate! I am so happy!

I hope you like the pictures!

Hallo Rafael!
    They will eat anyway! Even if they prefer to hide a bit! 😉 they can also wait till the food comes under the leaves or in the back of the tank! They will be fine!
    Soon they will show themselves more freely!

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hi Dorothee,

Yes I see, today they have already showed themselves in the front of the tank and they ate artemia naupliae.
    There is one thing that surprises me: I always see two of them together. But somehow I never see the third one. The two seem to have plenty of fun… I am not sure bur I think one of the two is the male. They are still rather small, I think the males coloration will get stronger as time goes by. Is it possible that I dont see the third one? Do paros make pairs of two like cichlids? Or why do they always show in pairs of two?

Hi Rafael,
    yes, I see the same with my Paros. But this way they have a chance to choose which girl likes to breed. The other female likes perhaps later on. I think this was the sense of Bernd Busslers advice to set Trios together.
    In a bigger tank with more Paros of the same species they have more choice, but perhaps the offspring could be eaten by not breeding fish … Don’t know.
    The third female will have a rest and stays a bit away from the new couple … You can find out who is the male searching for the blue spot at the side of the male and the bigger fins.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.