The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

A grade paper

Home Forums Global Scene A grade paper

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Hi you two, now that is linkei landed in particular Switzerland and it apparently goes ahead, I would have maybe something else. We have next weekend a small reef keeping hobby event and to a Swiss invited holding a Aquascape previous day with us, he must indeed back home, if there is someone in Switzerland or near, it was the opportunity it a few animals with to give.
    🙂
    Greetings Bernd Bussler

Peter Finke
    Participant

Yes, Dorothee is fully right. Trios are nice as choice of partners is concerned, the recommendation by Bernd is justified.

But in respect to the growing-up of the offspring in presence of the old fish it may be not the best choice. It depends: sometimes, especially in bigger tanks with many hining places, they manage to survive, often it’s only a very few.

For this reason we (and Bernd too) do not follow this method at any rate; we take the old fish out if we want to raise young efficiently. It’s always a risk not to do this. But we don’t do that in other cases: I had pairs (not trios) of nagyi or paludicola in a rather plant-crowded small ten liter tank, that produced more than fifty young; I could harvest them some months later. And I had a similar ten liter tank with 2 pairs of freshly cought P. gunawani, that contained some weeks later not 4 but 12 fish.

As I say, it depends on the structure of the tank, but in the first line on the different habits of the old fish. Some leave their offspring unmolested, others not. With a pair of P. sumatranus I watched the female after free-swimming of the young intensively search fo each of them to eat it.

To Bernd: good idea, one small tank 25x40x25 is waiting … Do you think about a pair/a trio of your Harvey’s? …..

To Peter: yes, I bear your advices in mind. My linkei (Bernds Trio) isn’t at all interested in eating their babies. Once I had Tannichtys micagammae, they also were never interested in eating their offspring. But my Oryzias woworae definitely did.

My problem with the Paros at the moment is, that I neither find in time the clutches of my phoenicurus neither the youngs before they begin to show themselves. I use my macro camera as a binocular of a gamekeeper, at the moment nothing to be seen …

Yesterday I dared to look under leaves and java moss and found three new, but also several weeks old unregistered 😉 offspring …

I’ve never known fish who can make themselves so invisible an these labyrinth fish 😉 and I have just leaves, Java moss, moor roots and some swimming plants in my tanks …

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hello all,

Yes, the Paros Now officially (re-)arrived in Switzerland! Though it is only 10 Minutes from the border to France and Germany:)

@Bernd: For me it is probably too early for another species… However I got another 25ltr Tank in which I thought I will put the adult linkeis if they ate the offspring. Actually, since Dorothee told me that her adults do no harm at all to their Babies and I have seen her tanks I might do it the same way. Of course this depends on the circumstances and wether my paros will behave adequately.. Maybe I will then later on get a Second species for this tank… Hopefully, I dare to say.

@Peter
    : Thank you for arranging that great contact with Dorothee. Sadly I wont bei able to come to the spring meeting of the IGL but I am planing to go to the meeting of the paroproject-members in Hamburg in September.

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hello everyone,

The linkeis seem to be doing well. there is almost no shyness anymore and the pair loves artemia naupliae.

However, I am still wondering where the trird one is. I never saw him feeding… I am now a bit afraid that he might have died… Maybe stress?

Besides this, I am not sure about the sexes of the two curious fishes. I think its m/f but I am not completely sure because they bot show some kind of side dot that is in both cases of the same size. I will attach some pictures… Hopefully someone can help.

Picture 1 is the tank… I didnt clean the glass.
    P 2 male?
    P 3 the two courious ones.. I think the one on the right is the m because of the “line” in the dorsal fin and the longer ventral fins
    P 3 m?

Hi Rafael!
    Your photos show definitly the two female! They are also quite nice coloured, but if you see the male in comparation, the difference is clear. The male has even longer fins and is blue or black, when he is in the mood, coloured, and has a blue spot on the side, the female have just a black spot there. I have some photographs in “my young linkei” …

You could look in the tank (take the plants and the cave outside (you should first under water control if he is not already breeding in the cave!) so you will find out if he is still alive!

My male phoenicurus was long time not to be seen, I have described that in Bernds thread asking about offspring. So I looked for him (didnt find him) but the first little offspring …
    Nowadays I see him from time to time.

In the other way it´s possible that a fish doesnt survive the stress of transporting to a new home, but I did´nt experience that before … but you cannot be 100% shure …

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hi Dorothee,

OK thats exacly what I feared… I will now have a closer look at the caves and maybe rearrange the whole tank. I hope he is not dead. The male seemed very well prepared for the moving. I mean it was the largest and fittest of the three.

Anxiously waiting for the result…

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

With paros – a dissappearing male is more often meaning that he is hiding somewhere in a cave, – either with or without eggs.
    Of course as Dorothee says, its never 100 procent, – but I have often worried for males that I had not seen for many days, and found out that he was indeed occupied with something else. They tend to simply ‘dissappear’ and I dont see them eat either for long periods.

One thing I would like to ask you about your tank is the amount of ketapang leaves ?
    Normally, – depending on the quality I would not put much more than one in a small tank, they can be quite strong in the way they influence ph.
    I dont think its a problem, – and perhaps some of the leaves are other kind of leaves, I cannot really tell. Just thought I would mention it.

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hello all,

I just looked through all the caves but did not find the male. Then, to be sure, I took out all the deco (plants, caves…). Sadly, this confirmed my fear that the male must have died. I only saw the two females. Even after I looked through all the peat granules on the ground, I did not find the body of the fish. I thing the snails must have eaten it. I definitely saw the male the day after I got the paros. But since then… nothing. What surprises me is that I did not find increased NO2/NO3 levels in the tank. I measured all the essential parameters every second day and nothing showed dangerous levels or even significant changes. These are the parameters of the last measurment:

ph: 5.16
    EC: 14
    NO3: 0.00 mg/l
    NO2: 0.00 mg/l
    NH4: 0.00 mg/l

I use RO water and a few tap water to increase the EC a bit.

The most striking observation is the fact that the females show great colors and no fear at all.

I assume that the male has died from stress only shortly after I put them to the tank. However, I had the three in a tank with the water of dorothees tank and added during 2 hours cups of tank water untill there was a ratio of about 2:1 new:Dorothees water. I dont understand what I ve done wrong and I feel terribly sorry for this loss. It was such a great fish. I had seen him on the pictures of Dorothee and in live before and during the journey.

@helene
    : In the tank I have one keptang leave which I cut into three pieces because it was just too large… Then there are another 3 small oak leaves. I think thats ok because The ph remains since I put in the paros at about 5,12 – 5,31 depending on time of the day I measure.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Oh, thats very sad to hear. But it can happen and there doesnt seem to be a good answer since the two other fish seems fine.
    And its not unusual to not find the male, this happens too. Sometimes you find – other times they just dissappear.
    He couldnt have jumped out ? Or hid in something which you took out of the tank ?

I am very sorry for the loss, expecially because you did a great effort to get them, and it was not that easy for you ..

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

thank you helene,
    he has not jumped out because the tank is completely covered. I doublechecked all the stuff I took out…

Hi Rafael,
    These things can happen – if he had really gone, I can help with a new male for your ladies. But I’m not entirely convinced….they are such perfect in hiding. If you do not empty your tank from all leaves, caves, roots etc. and have only inside the sand and the fish and the mudd is again layng on the ground you can’t be sure that he isn’t hiding somewhere….you look under one leaf and he slips under the next and stays motionless ….

Sometimes I am sure that only three of my Spaerichtys selatanensis are left … They are bigger than the Paros and the tank is just 25x25x100cm …. Next time I see all the six fish again …
    And your Bettas I also see very rare times – the male I think I saw some days ago under a swimming plant and the female I saw today under the moss in the front of the tank when I was looking for them which my torch …

And when Bernd asked about if there were any phoenicurus offspring and I searched in my tank 25x25x40 for the adult fish, I just found one female and some offspring. but I didn’t empty out all the “tank decoration” ….

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hi dorothee,
    sadly, I think he is dead indeed. There was nothing left but the Peat granules. The water is clear… I will check again tomorrow but I think well see each other again earlier than I had expected.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

If you have peat granules on the ground he could still very well be there hiding. To find out there are no Paros in the tank I think you have to use a net a poor out every single particle and wash the tank. I moving fry to other tank and as long as there is single piece of anything they will be under it hiding. Having a look over the tank does not really help I think.

Rafael Eggli
    Participant

Hi all,

I just spent one hour searching the Tank. As deepin Peat recpmmended, I Took out all the granules. I changed about 80 percent of the Water to be completely sure. Sadly, I really did not find the missing Male.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.