The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

A male filamentosus aggressive to shrimp: Why?

Home Forums Global Behaviour A male filamentosus aggressive to shrimp: Why?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Peter Finke
    Participant

This time I agree totally. It’s a very interesting project for advanced aquarists, not for beginners. An advanced breeder of licorice gouramies could find a sophisticated and rewarding mission to get us nearer to natural conditions. But we need the help of the trade or – because I am sceptic about that – some friends who on their next expedition do not only catch Paros but shrimps, too.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=1515]
    Besides, the informations that are given by the shrimp-lovers are ambivalent and partly wrong. They concentrate fully on their shrimps (as we do on our Paros) and are not interested in their capacity to tolerate extreme water conditions but to describe the ideal conditions for them. So the conclusion is as I said before: We do not have the right shrimps up to now. If some tolerate our values it’s a matter of compromise.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with you in the matter that many “recommendations” of hobby enthusiasts (regardless of whether fish or shrimps)are to be taken with a grain of salt … 😉
    But some information pages in the web seem to contain valuable advices. E.g., here water values from the locality are given ……. that’s why I think that the Sri Lanka dwarf shrimp might be worth a try. I am much more concerned by the also mentioned possibility of the shrimp being spawn consumers ……..

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

There is another species, C. fernandoi, mentioned as being often found living together with C. s. simoni. It is told that they can mostly be found among the leaf litter on the ground of the locality – and that they also hide among peat and leaves in the aquarium.
    These shrimp species seem to come near to that what we are looking for – in my opinion.

Maciej
    Participant

About C. Simoni, I found very confusing info. Some people are sure, that they are to be kept in acidic water with gh<1. Others say that they are shrimps that need salty water to procreate, so they are not to be considered as a species well cooping with soft acidic surrounding. I for that matter was told not to get them for my aquarium, as they are supesedly not good for BW tank.

Still I think, that if some Paros are offered as WF individuals, than it shouldn't be that hard to get some of those shrimps. Even if Paros keeping and breeding is a small niche, it should be enough to keep tem for "own purposes". If WF Parosphromenus cost around 50zł - 15 Euros, than how expensive could they be? 20 Euros for a starter colony?

I think that this is the move to be considered.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

I think, if we have parameters from the locality of C. simoni – as given in the link I posted – of ph 5,2, 6gh 1kh / 62 µS – it’s without doubt soft, acidic water they prefer, and nothing else. Additionally, they are observed to live together with C. fernandoi, which like to hide in leaf litter and peat – this is also a clear hint for a similar habitat as for some paros. Not brackish water – by no means!

And I think it is not a matter of costs to decide if we try keeping paros and these shrimp together ……… It’s not my attitude to pit the risk of losing animals against the price I paid for them ……. Life itself has absolutely the same value for every creature, no matter what prize we pay for it ….

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.