The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Black Worms

Home Forums Global Methods Black Worms

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    bartian
    Participant

Like described on the site. I feed them muesli and sometimes pleco tabs.
    I also tried breeding Enchytraeus in the same way, which appears to be very succesful up till now.

Bill Little
    Participant

Dr Charlie Drewes at the University of Iowa is a noted authority on blackworms. He has instructions on his website on maintaining and breeding the worms. Here is the link http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/DrewesC/htdocs/LVCULT.htm . None of our LFS sell live food, but our local fish club purchases a monthly supply of the California Blackworm. Individuals can purchase the worms in pound or half pound bags at the meeting each month. I know of few people who bother to raise then when they are available on a regular basis. If you care for them and change water each day and keep them refrigerated thay will last at least a month without going bad. Momma doesn’t not permit live creatures in HER refrigerator so one must keep a small cooler unit in the fishroom. Refrigeration is a must for maintaining these live foods in my very warm part of the U.S.

bartian
    Participant

Luckily it’s freezing ten degrees here at the moment 😛

I once tried blackworms the way that site does, but it didn’t work. It gets nasty and stinky in a few days and then the worms die. Filter foam instead of towel is much better.

Ted L. Dutcher
    Participant

This is fun… my Blackworms arrive tomorrow.

Will let you know Mr. Little how it works out!… And can send some to you if you would like. Min order was 3/4 pound…. .34 Kg

California Blackworms ship fed-X overnight in the US, price included for shipping, built into cost for US customers.

Benjamin Wilden
    Keymaster

Hello,

I was “lost” for some time, but now I am back.

Well, I moved and started new, which dind´t really work…

Back to topic: I never managed to breed blackworms for feeding. They only grew in a shrimp tank with a lot of organic matter. But I wasn´t able to catch them.

They also seemed to be less productive.

Now my tanks are refilled (I have almost no fishes at the moment) and i put a littel subtrate from that shrimp tank and some daphnia into the fresh.

Today I saw them. The whole ground is inhabited, so if there comes the fish, I will not feed for a while, but there is the same problem. How do I catch the worms.

I tried nessels and salat, the result are two little worms 🙁

What do you do?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Hi, Bartian,

how are your Black Worms doing now? Can you still recommend the method?

I ordered three small portions and will try with one how the fish like them – the remaining 2 portions I will use to maybe start a culture. If you are pleased with the meothod I will try it, too.

bartian
    Participant

The method works well up till now. The worms are quite reproductive and seem to taste well.

Ted L. Dutcher
    Participant

Yes, the Paros go crazy for the blackworms. I had no luck yet in trying to grow them, Black worms are high maintenance live food. I’m now mixing in some frozen bloodworms (some kind of midge larva) with the blackworms, and the fish are starting to eat them too. I have no place near to get small cultures of Blackworms.
    Moina culture is my favorite, easy and fast production but the fish need a good variety of foods. They also love Brine shrimp.

Stephen Parlin
    Participant

Hi,

Not to hijack the blackworm topic, but with such small fish, why not focus on a sustainable live food like grindal worms which are far more size appripriate and easier to keep then blackworms?

On the blackworm topic, I keep small filter media bags of peat genules in my blackwater tanks. In my L183 tank I had fed some blackworms several months ago. Appearenlty some of the blackworms made it to the filter media bags and took up residence. The end result was a breeding colony of blackworms that the fish would graze on , but not deplete.

Here’s a pic of them

[IMG]http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l604/AlorinDawn/blackworms_zpsf65ad79d.jpg[/IMG]

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

🙂

I experienced something similar: a few blackworms which escaped the fish made their home in balls of Cladophora …….

bartian
    Participant

That looks interesting, but do they survive pH under 4?

Stephen Parlin
    Participant

Bartian,

The pH is not that low for long, and the tank they are in is pH 4 – 5.2, temp 77F, 70 ppm TDS. These conditions seems to make them happy and they propogate.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.