The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

bubble nest under the surface

Home Forums Global Breeding bubble nest under the surface

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

Today I was very surprised to see P. pahuensis mating in a bubble nest directly under the water surface in dense Mayaca fluviatilis. In the past the breeding occured in javamoss near the ground and they never used a cave…!

Peter Finke
    Participant

P. pahuensis, similar to filamentosus, is known for some unusual nesting sites, but normally they don’t avoid caves. I had a spawning below an algae magnet near the surface.
    We should be happy about our many pahuensis. Only some years ago this species was totally missing in our aquarium stocks all over the world, except Japan. Team Borneo caught some, and very few of them were brought from Japan to Europe. Horst Linke gave me a pair: I hardly couldn’t believe it. They were propagated mainly in Germany, and now we have quite a good stock. Let’s handle them with care. Some misfortune, and they could be Lost again!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I also experienced this once, – or the attempt to build a bubble nest at the surface, and also the mating taking place most differently from what I normally see.
    For interest and fun I will post a few pictures of this. The species was some fish that was bought from an importer, supposed to be wildcaught P. harveyi, but ended up being identified as P.rubrimontis ‘tanjong Malim* .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.