The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Do paros jump regularly?

Home Forums Global Methods Do paros jump regularly?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Morgan
    Participant

Well…do they? With my recent success with my Parosphromenus ‘sentang’ (with at least 2 well developed fry and likely more hidden amidst the plants) I wanted to give them a 60cm by 40 cm by 15cm H open top riparium with bare root houseplants to add cosmetic interest in addition to the water sprite, java moss, and java fern already in the tank. I’ve heard conflicting reports on whether paros are as habitual jumpers as the wild bettas.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

No, Paros do not jump, I’ve often forgotten to close an aquarium. In my 20-year career as a paro breeder, 3 Paros jumped from the aquariums. So I think that the danger they jump out is very small, especially since your aquarium is quite high and has a lot of water and space available

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello Josh and Bernd , I have quite different expirience in that mater … I had very often an open aquariums with a paro and nothing happend until … When I came back from our first international meeting in Hamburg I received 3 beautifull adult pairs of P. quindencim . I wasn’t prepared for them , and I didn’t have any aquarium. I decided to leave all fish in a styrobox container ( about 5L ) to next day . I put “old” spongy filter inside and went to sleep. Next morning everything was ok. But when I got home from my work – disaster .. All 6 fishes jumped out from the container ! All were dry and dead .. It was dramatic …
    From this time I cover all my paros aquariums. It seems that paros do not jump out from the correct conditions aquariums – but be careful when they are in a temporary containers ..!

Peter Finke
    Participant

I never had jumping Paros myself, but … I always covered my tanks. The best Paro-scientist I knew, Dr. Walter Foersch, founder of Paro-aquaristics, never saw jumpng Paros, but always covered his tanks, too.

On the other hand I know of some people who were surprised by some Paros in this respect; trusting in the non-jumping they left tanks uncovered, and … the fish jumed out. But besides this happens rarely only, in the cases I came across those tanks either were meant as a provisionary home only, not equipped “orderly” as Paro-tanks, or the feeding or the water values were bad.

I strongly advise you to cover all Paro-tanks although fish accustomed to a good tank with a good milieu and regular feeding hardly ever jump.

Joshua Morgan
    Participant

That’s too bad! I will keep that in mind while aclimating paros in the future, then…by the way, today I (finally!) succeeded in setting up a tank that has a ph consistently below 5 (it’s about 4.2-4.3 right now). However, being the impatient guy I am, I used a lot of peat granules to accomplish that task, sending the conductivity up from about 3.2 (the conductivity of the distilled water the tank started with) to an annoying 64 microsiemens :(. I’m hoping that value will drop as the tank matures and I do water changes, but…would such a ‘high’ conductivity interfere with successful paro spawning, especially since almost all of it comes from the tannin sources? (For those concerned, there are no paros in this tank…just set it up yesterday)

Joshua Morgan
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=5797]I never had jumping Paros myself, but … I always covered my tanks. The best Paro-scientist I knew, Dr. Walter Foersch, founder of Paro-aquaristics, never saw jumpng Paros, but always covered his tanks, too.

On the other hand I know of some people who were surprised by some Paros in this respect; trusting in the non-jumping they left tanks uncovered, and … the fish jumed out. But besides this happens rarely only, in the cases I came across those tanks either were meant as a provisionary home only, not equipped “orderly” as Paro-tanks, or the feeding or the water values were bad.

I strongly advise you to cover all Paro-tanks although fish accustomed to a good tank with a good milieu and regular feeding hardly ever jump.[/quote]

Will do…I keep plastic wrap around for exactly that reason 🙂

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

I can imagine that the Paros can jump at stress, you can sometimes hear it when they are transported in small containers or plastic bags, they jump against the walls or blankets.
    The Microsiemens always goes upwards with the use of peat, but also again downwards, after several water changes it is again down and remains also down, only gedried, it is the correct way

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.