The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Filter bacteria growth under PH 5.

Home Forums Global Methods Filter bacteria growth under PH 5.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andy Love
    Participant

I’m glad that my link worked!

Bennie : all my filters have been seeded, chainwise, from my original Discus tank. Although that tank was decommissioned nearly fifteen years ago, all subsequent tanks (those that contained fish, anyway) have been of the soft/acidic variety, so I would expect that the original assembly of micro-organisms would largely have duplicated through the chain. Whether or not there was a mixture of bacteria and archea, it seems that archaea were at least dominant : that appears to explain why the filters’ nitrifying micro-organisms behaved in ways that bacteria simply could not have done.

Without rummaging through my notes I have it in my head that the nitrifying pathways of AOB and AOA differ : the former extract their carbon from carbonate ; and the latter from dissolved carbon dioxide. The more acidic the environment, the greater is the fraction of dissolved carbon dioxide present (I think I’m right in saying that), hence one reason why such environments tend to select for AOA.

Jolanda Wisseborn
    Participant

Hello Vale, what if you don’t use any carbon in the filters, could this also be an influence of the AOA?

Maurice Matla
    Participant

That is quite some interresting stuff to dig in too.

I have been absent for a little while we very recently lost my eldest sister at age 40. So i had other things on my mind.

But it is nice too see how this thread is developing.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.