The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

fry right after getting out of cave

Home Forums Global Pictures fry right after getting out of cave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Hello everyone,

wanted to post this for those who almost never see the fry untill it grows to the size to show up. Nothing that very interesting, they look very similar to any other fry :D, but still, its Paros in the ice cream jar.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing, – they look really small :blink:
    How are they doing now ?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

😀 they are all sharing one oak leave in a 1l jar with infusoria and they seem to be doing well, hiding and have white bellies from infusoria so everything looks fine. From what I have seen on previous clutches, some of them will be able to ingest artemia in cca 6 days. Or again, this was so when they were in much bigger tanks where most of the infusoria is near the water surface, so pretty much out of their reach. I would assume that now it could be a little sooner as they have plenty of food within the reach. I will try to make more pictures as they grow. I have seen many of those from the first clutch today that started free swimming about 14 days ago and one can see how much of a change is there. They are already very robust compared to these.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

so like 2 hours ago, I siphoned some really freshly hatched Sanders Premium Artemia nauplii and gave it a try with the intention of removing if I find that the fry is not able to ingest it yet. It is clearly visible that approximately 20% of the larvae were already able to ingest it. Its been 4 days since they started freeswimming. I assume that making the initial food directly available within the smallest distance possible for the fry has at least some efect if you want to get them on bigger mouthfulls as soon as you can. I perform 30% water change in the jar every day, since I started feeding as of course the water would polute quite quickly in such a small jar with something like 30 fry in there. I only had to remove one dead larva so far, right after they started freeswimming( or thats what I was able to find, but I keep the jar very clean and remove all the detritus every day with a syringe)

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Fasinating 🙂 I love the way you say they all shared one oak leave , how sweet.

But good to hear it seems to work out well, and it gives us more information regarding how quickly they grow as well.
    You now have a chance to study when the first sign of sexual differencies becomes clear.

Peter Finke
    Participant

A reply to deepin’ peat’s message:

There is a successfull method that has been developed by one of our first good breeders of Paros in Germany, Jakob Geck:

Put the free-swimming larvae in a round jar of about two liters with a round bottom. Add two or three small snails. Then, every day a few hours after feeding Artemia or other small food stir up the water with a stick by circling moves and wait. The debris will assemble in the middle of the round bottom of the jar. There you can easily remove it with an aeration hose without endangering the fry too much. The missing water is to be replaced by new water of the same qualities; it’s not more than half a liter. This is all. When the fry has reached an age where they need more space, they will be put in a bigger tank with a sponge filter.

Jakob Geck has raised many generations of many Paro-species by this simple combination of intensive, dense feeding and relatively moderate water change every day.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

The rounded jar and stearing is a very good idea 😉 . I never had them becouse I stock these jars with killifish fry in bigger tanks that have heaters and cover to maintain the temperature stable. Also I mostly raised very litlle fry of each species so I use 1 liter jars and than move the fry to bigger jars and than to small 5 liter,8 or 10 liter tanks to still be able to maintain the density right for them to feed well.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

thats how they look now. Clearly fat fry :cheer: Also managed to take a picture of two from the very first clutch. There are huge differences in size of those growing in the “big” tank. The ones in the jar do not seem to differ in size nearly as much, at least up to now.

[video]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VsA3HKHl1Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.