The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Genetic diversety

Home Forums Global Genetics Genetic diversety

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Maurice Matla
    Participant

I have been thinking about this the last few day´s after visiting with an uncle ogf mine who has been breeding birds (parots and parakeets) most of his life now.

Since breeding from a limited stock and wild import possibly drying up at some point. Should we not take care to at least try to establish a diverse healthy genepool for our fish ?

Making sure we are not pairing related fish as good as we can. Maby try not to pair up fish from the same source for example.

Over there in the bird world with some species that is becomming a problem as i understood it. So should we not try too avoid that.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

In my opinion this is extremely overated in aqaurium hobby as such. People do not distinguish between species that inhabit very large areas and are able to move over these so the adult specimens change locations and get to mate with animals from localities elswhere or with animals from other parts of some big environment. Such species are then susceptipble to inbreeding. When dealing with Paros, most killifish and other such species the situation is different. Most of these species (I think populations would be more often than not a better word with Paros for their fast going and unfinished speciation) arised by isolating some specimens on some place caused by some big natural event. Paros inhabit small localities that are strictly separated from each other and there are no condition that could bring new animals from other places and therefore no genes are added or exchanged this way and that is why such species are not susceptible to this. All animals on the locality are close relatives for as long as the population exists and there is no problem with it. I think Peter once mentioned that all aquarium specimens of P. quindecim are descendants of fish from one single private import and have been bred and distributed since than without problems.

Hello Maurice, hello Pavel,
    Yes, Peter answered that to my similar question in the thread “distribution”. That’s good, because the distribution is anyway not so easy task!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.