The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Guarding clutches

Home Forums Global Breeding Guarding clutches

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Hello everyone,
    I am not sure if to put this in to Beahavior or Breeding, so please move it if needed.

I just wanted to ask how eagerly your males are guarding clutches. I have two males that are out of the cave more often than not and I almost missed a clutch for that reason. You just barely see them in the cave and they swim around the tank and search for food or display in front of the female. But they seems to raise the eegs without any problem even though I first, I was worried that something had gone wrong with the clutch when the male was out all the time. On the other hand, the third male amost never left his cave unguarded and have spent like all the time deep inside with the eggs and the larvae besides some moments when he hunted for food, but that had to be right in front of the cave. Heading to remove the larvae now, I am not sure they would still be in the cave if I wait another day.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

🙂 I would call it breeding behaviour, so I think I will just leave it in this category.

I have the same experience with males, – some males simply dissappear and live their whole life inside their caves. I have sometimes really thought I had lost the male, because I never saw him, and then when finally emptying the tank would find that he had just been sitting inside some cave which had either been overgrown by javamoss or was otherwise hidden from my view.
    And other males dash in and out, busy feeding or courting females.
    I think its more a matter of the individual male and his particular temperament. I had a p. linkei male which was very unstable but I also have another p. linkei who really lives inside his cave, whether theres eggs or not, he is always sitting there.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

True :)My differently behaving males are all the same species too. I am not sure about the fourth one, as that is in bigger tank and only fish I can see in there are the occasional fry. I know there are 2 females and one male in there, but they have not used any of my caves, which took me a lot of work with forming and firing. What I am startiing to be sure about is that having 3 pairs and one trio from one species is kind of to much.I am still happy about the cluches but I am not sure if I want to isolate anymore of them because if this goes any further, I could be sitting here on kind of to much Paros of a single species. :unsure:

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Yes, I understand that, – I think I mentioned this problem to you 😉
    For myself the best way it works is to have nice little tanks with pairs but not breed intensive, this way I manage to keep enough fish from one species to keep going, but only sometimes to have problems with too many of one species.
    My p. nagyi ‘cherating’ though is kind of an exception to this, – they get so many off springs. Just today I rearranged a small 12 liter with one pair, – I took out 6 about 1,5 cm big fry, but there were so many small ones still in there. There are probably still 10 small fry in the tank. I have had that before with this species, – sometimes there’s a pair that just produce so many offsprings even in these small tanks and with no interference from me.
    So thats an easy species to be grandfathering 🙂
    I wish the parvulus would be the same, but no, they get only one or two offspring. They could do with some intensive breeding, but I have never done that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.