The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Help! Unintended hybrids?

Home Forums Global Undetermined Help! Unintended hybrids?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Stefanie Rick
    Participant

New photos from today – I think he’s developing into a normal nagyi-male – one with a stronger red tone than usual, but nevertheless a nagyi:

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I agree in many ways, though I understand the doubt along the way. At the moment I think there a really big ‘gap’ between the inner and outer band of spots/bands in the tail. If you look at your profile picture of your other nagyi, it certainly is broader.
    But then again, perhaps we are not considering that even a small nagyi male has got to develop, – maybe it doesnt come with perfect grown up patterns right away, but develop these as it grows. And perhaps this could explain some of the doubts ?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”helene” post=3037]At the moment I think there a really big ‘gap’ between the inner and outer band of spots/bands in the tail. If you look at your profile picture of your other nagyi, it certainly is broader.
    But then again, perhaps we are not considering that even a small nagyi male has got to develop, – maybe it doesnt come with perfect grown up patterns right away, but develop these as it grows. [/quote]

That’s definitely right, Helene. And watching this it seems to me that the development of colouration follows no strict chronological order – which I find astounding. As far as I know, e.g. from ornithology, the development of (feather) colouration normally follows a strict chronological order. So strict that an age determination according to (plumage) colouration is possible in many species.
    My “real” nagyi-male (the possible father of the one in question) developed the iridiscent bands in dorsal and anal fin from the beginning, simultaneously. But it took this male unusually long (according to expert statements) to develop the tail fin colouration.

Look here, that’s another picture of the old male (being still young):

The bands in dorsal and anal clearly visible – but the pattern of the tail fin still just a hue.

However, my “questionable” young male never shows the “normal” striped body colours, so it’s not easy to compare it to the older one in it’s younger days. As far as I remember I have never seen it in the plain brown-and-yellow paro colours – it has always shown this marked reddish colouration, even when showing stripes.

By now, it’s colouration at least remains extraordinary.

Peter Finke
    Participant

The chronological order of colour development in the fins that Stefanie speaks about is the normal succession, indeed. With many nagyi-offspring, I have never seen a different order.

This individual is without doubt a special one; the reddish colour of the whole body is unusual, too. It will probably for ever remain impossible to decide whether it is an aberration of an individual offspring of both normal nagyi-parents, or a product of a hybridization. Has anybody asked the breeders (Thorsten and Anne) already?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=3039] Has anybody asked the breeders (Thorsten and Anne) already?[/quote]

Should I ask them for their opinion? Or whether there might be something wrong in the lineage of the nagyi-pair (possible parents of this young) I bought from them?
    I think the last can be excluded – as far as I know these nagyi from Pekan Nenas all descend from those that Martin Hallman imported a few years ago.

But I’ll send them an eMail, anyway – they should indeed have a look on this fish.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Today:

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Today I saw him shortly and only got two or three mediocre photos – but I think he turns out more and more to be a normal nagyi male – one with a deeper reddish brown than normal, perhaps. But his father (I assume now my nagyi male is his father, indeed) also showed a strong reddish tinge when younger.

The young in question:

And his probable father, one year ago:

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

End of discussion – all questions answered – see here.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.