The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

ID help

Home Forums Global Species ID help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lindy
    Participant

I have some paros that came in the same shipment as ‘ourmanflint’ Still trying to find out what they are.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10882191_10205287602492130_6754556798328022932_n.jpg?oh=875feeb3344fe7a8522282db13fb81f2&oe=553D3CC0
    This is one of the adult males.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/6ad739dddaa301d77b6ba3f2ebba08d1.jpg
    This is a 10 week old fry

Thanks for any help.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

This is an exellent photo of the male.
    There is no doubt in my mind that it is resembling very very much of the species which here is called spec. blue line.
    I hope Peter Finke will come around and give his opinion regarding this particular photo. I would ask you permission to use the photo (when we are a bit more certain). It would be a great contribution to our attempt at documenting species as well as different variants etc.

Lindy
    Participant

Feel free to use any photos I post as it would be nice to contribute something. I had also wondered about sp. Dua and sp. Sentang. All my photos are taken without flash.

Thanks, Lindy

Lindy
    Participant

I’m also wondering whether the conditions I find the fish do best in should be taken into account. They seem to thrive in higher temps 26-28 degrees C and the fry have developed really quickly. One pair are extremely successful having produced around most of the 80 odd fry I have while the other pair produce a fraction of this.
    Ph 4.7 in breeding tanks.
    Ph 5 in fry tanks

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

To be honest I think that it would not make so much sense to use the conditions to determine anything regarding species, as all of those which would be possible identification would be living in areas not that wide apart, – and they would probably all experience the same conditons, or the same fluctuation conditions, – such as higher temperature at times etc.
    I can see your point regarding sp. dua, – I am unable to determine that.
    I would doubt about sp. sentang though. The colour band seems to me to be less broad when we are talking about sp. sentang.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Since there doesnt seem to be more answers I thought I would try to look into the different books I have.
    But I dont get any nearer. If you are looking in Horst Linkes book also, then I understand why you mention sp.sentang also. The photo of this particular fish resembles yours a lot too.

I think the reality is that when we are talking about this group of paros, – clearly fish in the p. bintan ‘group’ – there really is a limit to how accurate it is possible to id them unless we know precisely where they come from locally. This could have made it possible. But without it it may be simply not possible.
    I am no expert on this (keep saying this) – but I am learning that the classification of the different paro ‘species’ may not always be that accurate or definite. Within the bintan group of paros there are many variations that are very close, – and to actually think that they are all seperate species just not yet fully described is wrong. We simply may not know how these different sp.’s are connected (for example sp. sentang, sp.blue line, sp.dua etc) I would refer you to read Peters remarks in this thread (the last post) as it says something about this particular problem with the P.bintan species.

https://parosphromenus-project.org/en/forum/13-Trade/1583-p-bintan.html?start=6

Actually I think this is an important issue, which I would propose to Peter Finke that if possible someone should talk about this at the international meeting in Hamburg in september.
    Or we could also have a written article about it on this homepage perhaps.
    For people with a long historie of paro keeping it may have been part of their education, – for me as someone who entered this not that long ago, – it is only now becoming apparently important to understand. And I think many people are desperately often trying to identify the fish they buy in shops, – thinking that there have to be one rigth answer to it.

If I had the means to study this scientifically I would 🙂 … but unfortunately this probably means you have to be a biologist or something. Too late 🙂
    To me it seems totally impossible to determine if your fish is more likely P.bintan, P.sp. sentang, P.sp. blue line or perhaps even P.sp. dua. But it does belong in the P. bintan group

Lindy
    Participant

Thankyou for taking the time to reply again. I shall just say the fish are from the bintan group then, no worries.

Rod Porteous
    Participant

Hi Lindy

The more I look at yours, the less I am convinced we have the exact same fish. I know we both had them from Colin , but I think we bought them a week or so apart so maybe they were a different batch. Mine have nowhere near as much blue as yours even when flaring.

There is a post in this thread Link

Yours look very similar indeed to P sp dua.

Well done on the successful breeding!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I was thinking the same thing, actually. 🙂
    Also because as I remember yours seemed to have much more reddish hue in the fins – at least in those first photos.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.