The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

ID needed

Home Forums Global Species ID needed

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rod Porteous
    Participant

It always seems to be a problem in UK shipments, about 75% males usually. I think I have maybe 3 females.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Yeah, they look great, very beautiful blue. I am sure they will be awsome in full coloration.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”ourmanflint” post=3479]It always seems to be a problem in UK shipments, about 75% males usually. I think I have maybe 3 females.[/quote]

Small comfort: Having males enables you to look for females – in most cases you now the species, having males.
    I have three very fine, big females here – they will stay alone until they die because nobody is able to determine the species ………….

Rod Porteous
    Participant

Well it’s been 6 months and all the juveniles have grown up pretty much, though I still have no idea which species they are, so have not bothered trying to breed them.
    As they have grown, I have noticed the caudal fin is definitely more lanceloate than many other Parosphromenus species except phoenicurus.

a few recent pics…

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I think its a very beatiful species actually. They look pretty much like my first paros.
    Identification though is one of the difficult ones I am sure.
    The ‘lancet’ like caudal fin to me is not lancet like. If you look at the caudal fin in those fish in the photo where you can see it all spread out, it seems to me to be round. Even some ’round’ caudal fins can appear lancet like when not fully spread out, they kind of fold and look pointed, but they are not really.
    Again, theres no doubt in my mind that they are part of the ‘bintan’- type forms, whatever that will mean. To say p.bintan is something which I would not be able to, – I am actually very uncertain what would indicate a definite p.bintan. That would be for more experts to say.

But this particular fish look to me similar to those species or variants which has been going under the identification as spec. sentang or blue line.
    When I had mine, they were initially identified as p.spec.sentang.

I looked again at the first photos you uploaded in this thread, and what still strikes me is the very brownish colour which at an earlier stage was quite dominant in the caudal fin. This might help narrow things down perhaps ?
    In the photo at least you have 3 females, but I am sure you have also noticed.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.