The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Køge Aquarium messe 2012- Aquarium fair Copenhagen

Home Forums European Scene Køge Aquarium messe 2012- Aquarium fair Copenhagen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hello everyone.
    In juli this year I saw an advertisement regarding the yearly Aquarium Fair in Copenhagen, organised by a friend of mine, and not thinking very long I wrote back to him … well, shouldnt I really have a small stand and show something about the Paroshpromenus Project ?
    He replied very happily, that yes, he thought that was a fantastic idea 🙂

So then I had said yes, to something I really didnt know excatly what was. And it turned out to actually be the biggest Aquarium Fair in Denmark, with two big halls, and about 2500 visitors. Lots of stands with other fish, with equipment, with the scandinavian killi show, the yearly aquarium show contest, with the international guppy show … and there in the middle of that I had organised my little paro-stand as good as I could.

It actually was a little big more work than I had imagined, and I had put quite a few thoughts into organising what and how to show things.

It was not just a very pleasant and good experience all in all, it also was very good to see how much people actually was interested in the small fishes. I met many people who were interested, and there was also some interesting responses from a few people who said … ‘Oh, I have been so looking for something about parosphropmenus, I used to keep these many years ago but nobody else had them, so I gave it up again, – I am so happy to see something about them here. Those responses were the best ones.

So here comes a few pictures of the fair itself and my little stand.

The big killishow with 350 tanks

My little corner –

I had 3 tanks with me, – in one there was four p.harveyi males, in the two others there were in each 4 p.cf.linkei which I had just revieved from Horst Linke. I had tried to make some of my own typical ‘style’ paro-tanks, – some with plants, one almost without, with caves, peat and so. I thought it would be good for people to see what kind of tanks does it require, how can you make it good for the fishes, but also pleasant to look at.
    I provided of course a little flashlight 🙂

Then I had translated some of the most important articles, into danish, but also used a few english and german. I did find though that in a fair like this, where people have lots to see and are walking around, only a few takes time to stop and read. Most people went straight to the tanks and asked lots of questions about the fish and the project of course. But most people, in this setting, do not spend more than a few minutes by each stand.

I also then had shown some documentation, and some sample material regarding lowering ph, because this is something which always intriges people, – how can they make ph so low. So I had some text and samples of leaves, ketapang, spagnum, pellets etc.
    I had a friend – also a labyrintperson, though not so much paro-person, but he was helping me, and we also sold live food cultures, as you can see.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Because I knew that the paroes in the tank might not at all show themselves, I had made a slide show on the computer with images from the homepage. These images of course was with all due respect to copyright etc, and shown only with species name and photographer. This was quite a good idea because you could then see how beatiful the fishes are.
    But as it really showed up, my paroes were not so shy as I had expected. They quickly seemed to feel comfortable in the tanks, and in the p.harveyi tank the males were sorting out the territory, flashing to each other, and in one of the p.cf.linkei tanks one pair decided to actually get interested in each other, with sexy eyes and flashing and courting, male rushing back and forth to a cave, – all in all very spectacular to watch.

One visitor to the stand was a professionel fish photographer from Denmark, Johnny Jensen, – who was very happy to be able to photograph parosphromenus species, – so he spend some time there, and afterwards gave his permission to use all of the photoes on this homepage, which of course I am very happy about.
    Heres a few of the best images he took

I was also invited by at least 3 different aquarium clubs to come and hold a lecture regarding the parosphromenus project, and the parosphromenus species, – and this of course I find a very good result for me, – then there seems to be an opening towards telling more about the project, and hopefully inspire more people to join.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

a few more

Bill Little
    Participant

Helene — what a wonderful project and opportunity to show the hobbyists of Denmark what it is like to keep the various species of Paros. The photos taken by Johnny Jensen are also magnificent and it was marvelous that he permitted you to share the images with the membership from around the world! I suspect your three speaking engagements at the aquarium clubs will encourage other hobbyist to consider maintaining these wonderful creatures also. I also suspect those presentations will result in you being asked to speak at other clubs. I did my first presentation last month for a club here in Florida. It was well received and I will do it again in February for my home club here in Tampa which is considerable larger than the initial group. People are very interested in the Parosphromenus species once you begin to tell their story. Congratulations on your success.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Thanks, – thats interesting to hear that you are also doing that, speaking in clubs, – that seems like the way to go. I will have to – once again – put up my courage and plan a presentation, – I dont feel so comfortable doing that :).
    At the fair, suddenly I was also taken a little bit by surprise with someone wanting to interview me to a rolling camera. I have just recieved an email that I will be send a copy of this. I think it was for presentation also in a club of the whole Fair thing, – 🙂 … but anyway .. I am curious to see what it was I actually said.

I know another member from here, Stefano Valdesalici, also attended a Fair in Italy on the same weekend, – and hopefully he will start a thread and share his photoes and experiences here too.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

One of the effects of this fair participation has been that I has been put on the list of DAU (danish aquarium union) as a potential lecture holder, and for this reason I have been told that its a good thing to have some material made. Which made me remember that I actually – maybe more than a year ago – made a ‘film’ which I never used for anything, because I was not able to upload it and didnt know what to do. But I found out today that I was able to upload it to youtube by just changing a little setting, – so I did that.

There are a few ‘mistakes’ in my text, actually. I got wiser it seems since then, – but apart from that I would like to share it with you. I might redo some of it, edit and put in new clips and maybe alter the text somewhat.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XV72EiRTjs&feature=youtu.behttp://[/video]

Mike Hu
    Participant

Wow Helene,

What an amazing video.

Thank you for showing us something that is so rarely seen. I’ve gained so much insight just by watching your video of these fish.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Thank you, – yes, I am glad I found it again, I made it last year I think, and never did anything with it. Glad you liked it 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.