The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Lava subtrate

Home Forums European Methods Lava subtrate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

Hello,

what do you think about Lava granulate on the ground of an planted Paro aquarium? I know Lava is dark, has a very large surface and is rich of micronutrients but it is sharp-edged. So is it worth to try or not?

Greetings
    Patrick

Peter Finke
    Participant

Yes Patrick, it is worth to try it, I agree. I use lava granulate in many of my small 12-liter-tanks. For the reasons you mention. But let me add some further points.
    There are good breeders of Parosphromenus who dispense with a gravel entirely. Then you definitely need a small filter as a “home” for the useful bacteria. They settle on all surfaces (glass roofs, plant leaves, wood etc.), it is true, but the gravel enlarges that settling space by far. Therefore I put normally a very thin (a few millimeters) layer of gravels on the ground and dispense of a filter. Admittedly, a small bubble filter make things safer.
    The lava is sold in different granulations. I prefer the smaller instead of the biggest. But in different tanks I use other materials, too. I don’t like the light forms, but I did not experience any bad effects on the fish if I used them. (The artificially coloured materials are disgusting, I think). Anyhow, there are mostly beech or oak leaves placed on it, at least on parts of the bottom.
    For people who concentrate on breeding their fish a “normally” planted tank is not the first choice. I have a few of them nevertheless as eye catchers; one can raise young fish in them or use them for housing small groups of licorice gouramis, but not for breeding purposes. In my small breeding tanks there are mosly plants, nevertheless, but a reduced number of species that don’t need a high layer of gravel or gravel at all; in some cases (Cryptocoryne) I plant them in very small pots. I think that friends of Parosphromenus should concentrate on breeding, because these fish are rare and endangered. And the breeding is very interesting an adventure; it’s the most interesting part of the Paro-aquaristics.
    And for this lava granulate is a very good base at the ground of the tank. There is another advantage of it: The very young fish that just have left the cave hide in the first time (two weeks or more) mostly on the ground. If there are leaves they could be found below. But the adult fish will find them there, too. The young are so mall, however, that they can hide even deeper: in the small spaces of the lava granulate. For this.lava is better than any other material, except peat fibres.
    You are right, Patrick.

Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

I bought “Lavastreu” (Winterstreu) from the company “Hamann” at “Hornbach-market”. The substrate is brown Lava and Basalt (Eifel?) 1:1. Granulation is 1-5mm (max 10mm). It is not very sharp-edged. The prize is very low (36Cent/kg). The substrate does not effect pH or hardiness (tested in a glass of osmosis – water) and looks nice and natural.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.