The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Linkei in community aquarium

Home Forums Global Behaviour Linkei in community aquarium

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello, here I have a new question. First: I miss the subject “Health” or something like that. But this post is perhaps right here, if my fish I want to show you are healthy 😉

Since about a year ago I put some of my linkei offspring in my “pensioners tank”. There live now a pair of betta coccina and still three corydoras pygmeus with them. And some left shrimps. Tank Size: 40x40x60 cm.

Water parameter are: 22-25°C, depending on what season we have, pH 5,5 – 6,5, EC 40. The change from 6,8 – 5,5 and from EC 90 – 40 was very slowly and the corydoras seemed to love that, and had offspring.

Now I am looking at the linkei and am not sure if they are in that way colored because of much movement in the tank (always some quarreling and chasing, they also are very hungry and nearly slip in my sieve with naupliae or other good things when I put it in the water.

Now my question: please look at the photos: are they a bit strange colored and discolored because they want to disguise a bit or have they parasites like odium? You who know Linkei for a longer time than me perhaps can answer this question for me!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hi Dorothee.
    I dont actually think theres any sign of odinium. The times I have seen it, one of the ways I can tell is that you can see tiny tiny nodules (what to call them ? ), – grains – on the fins, and I dont see that on your fish.
    I agree, the coulours are a bit ‘palish’ – I wouldnt either say it was because of being uncomfortable with other fish, or as you say ‘in disquise’.
    Perhaps I would more think of water quality, – even I can see you have some things contributing to the humic substances, I think it seems fairly clear water. Perhaps something is needed in terms of humic substances, I think there are things in that which could really affect their skin condition if too little.

Bill Little
    Participant

Hi Dorothee — here is an example of what the fish might look like with a case of odinium. You can see the spots on the fins and body as Helene has previously suggested.I don’t see any evidence of the problem on your Linkei.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Everything allright, but you should never forget the fundamental problem with Oodinium: In the very first stages it is not to be seen at all. The infection starts before you can see it. That’s the difficulty to react in time. When Oodinium is clearly to be seen, it can often be too late already , especially with the old medicines (methylene-blue and so on). F r e s h (!) 2-amino-5-nitrothiazole, that light yellow powder (if it has become brownish, you can throw it away), often works a bit later, still, but you always should act as early as possible. The linkeis we have seen in the pictures before may (!) well show an early stadium of Oodinium without clearly visible small spots, a tinge of strange pale skin only. But then it must develop into the typical appearance of Oodinium with a week or so. If it doesn’t, it’s not Oodinium. If it does, it could be a little late for a treatment, at least for some individuals. We shall see.

Bill Little
    Participant

About 18 months ago I had an outbreak of Oodinium in one of my Paro tanks. I remembered reading about the use of 2-amino-5-nitrothiazole or JBL Spirohexol to cure this type of outbreak. One of the accomplishments I failed to do while on my trip to Hamburg in September was to purchase some of this product – bad me!! . For our American readers in particularly, we are unable to purchase this product legally in this country as the Food and Drug Administration has classified this medicine as a carcinogenic (cancer causing) substance. However, certain veterinarians are able to obtain this product to treat swine with certain diseases. Looking back on this situation I have major questions about this ruling. The Vet feeds this potentially dangerous drug to the pigs and eventually we find this meat as Pork Chops on the evening dinner table?? Does that make any sense at all?

Thank you all for your answers!
    To Helene: the water color changes from time to time a bit. And I had much light on to make the photos. I use Deepin Peats black water recipe. If I have suck the elder cones too long, the water is so dark I nearly don’t see anything, and impossible to make good photos.

To Peter: I observe the fish since about two weeks. No changes.

To Bill: Thank you for your very good photo! No, this way no one of the fish look like. I had some time ago fish which looked like that, I wrote about it in the forum (phoenicurus) and I was able to save/heal them all, even in a late stage with spirohexol JBL in the liquid form (I couldn’t get here the powder). And I used it in the awareness that it was written, it would not help. But it did.

Perhaps they had too cold? Some time the water had “room temperature ” 21-22*C. Now I give them again 24-25 *C and they all look much better ….

Alex
    Participant

[quote=”7 Zwerge” post=5272]Hello, here I have a new question. First: I miss the subject “Health” or something like that. But this post is perhaps right here, if my fish I want to show you are healthy 😉

Since about a year ago I put some of my linkei offspring in my “pensioners tank”. There live now a pair of betta coccina and still three corydoras pygmeus with them. And some left shrimps. Tank Size: 40x40x60 cm.

Water parameter are: 22-25°C, depending on what season we have, pH 5,5 – 6,5, EC 40. The change from 6,8 – 5,5 and from EC 90 – 40 was very slowly and the corydoras seemed to love that, and had offspring.

Now I am looking at the linkei and am not sure if they are in that way colored because of much movement in the tank (always some quarreling and chasing, they also are very hungry and nearly slip in my sieve with naupliae or other good things when I put it in the water.

Now my question: please look at the photos: are they a bit strange colored and discolored because they want to disguise a bit or have they parasites like odium? You who know Linkei for a longer time than me perhaps can answer this question for me!

[/quote]
    Oh, man, these photos are incredible, they really look nice. I have noticed, that you are the owner of the fish tank. This fact has remembered in me my aquarium and my fish, that were killed by bobbit worm, if you don’t know what is it, then this topic(https://arcreef.com/bristle-worms/bobbit-worm-eunice-aphroditois/) for you. It was very sad to lose all the fish, because of my carelessness, so value your pets, man, and photo them more often, because you have talent.

Alex
    Participant

Oh, man, these photos are incredible, they really look nice. I have noticed, that you are the owner of the fish tank. This fact has remembered in me my aquarium and my fish, that were killed by bobbit worm, if you don’t know what is it, then this topic(https://arcreef.com/bristle-worms/bobbit-worm-eunice-aphroditois/) for you. It was very sad to lose all the fish, because of my carelessness, so value your pets, man, and photo them more often, because you have talent.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hi there.

Thanks for registering and replying, – but I would like to make you aware that you are answering a post which is 3 years old 🙂 ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.