The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Living food for Paros

Home Forums Global Methods Living food for Paros

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Exactly, so I do it also, just on the water surface at the young Paros, better food can not feed you.

Überleben denn die Eier bis zum Schlüpfen im sauren Wasser?

Can the eggs survive in the acid water till the larves come out?

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Yes they can. The larvae live partly in water that is still sour.
    I even put an extra reason to. I have two pans that I display fittings to get the eggs with nettles.

Hallo!

Now I have another question 😉
    In my pots with nettle water on the balcony I just can find very few black mosquito larves, but since two days thin red worms. I guess they are no good food for fish and I have to throw the water away and make a new set, I´m I right?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

well most of the stuff small enough to be ingested that lives in water is good food for fish. Unless its some parasites which is very unlikely given you do not keep any fish in the buckets or a predator like dragonfly larvae. Are the worms swimming? Or they reside on the bottom? It could be something from Lumbriculidae family for example, which would make great food if it comes from non poluted waters as your balcony waters should be 🙂 Most of the harm done by feeding with Tubifex, Chironomus larvae and such stuff is caused by cumulative poisons that come from the localities of colection of the foods. So more likely than not, it could very well be good food . Of course picture would help if you manage to catch some in some transparent plastic jar.

Here they are: B) :unsure:

Are these bloodworms/red mosquito larves???

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Yes B) thats what they are exactly. Bloodworms or Chironomus larvae if you want. Great food for most fish including Paros and whats more, they do not bite when they hatch inside. They form little tubes out of detritus on the bottom, so if you are able to spot small eleongated structures, if you gently loosen them from the bottom and put them in to a sieve that touches the water level, the bloodworms will go trough the sieve in to the water again. This way you will get clear bloodworms for feeding. There is probably much more of them on the bottom of the buckets than just these that you were able to spot. Bloodworms can even be cultured indoors.

Hallo you all there!

Now I was very brave 😉 and brought some living food from my garden (is about 15 km from my flat away …)

I have there a standard garden container (a cube, about one meter long, 0,40 m deep and 0,40 m high …
    There was a lot of stinking water (mosquito larves seem to love it) , just rain water and fallen leaves.

And I saw so many black mosquito larves that I could not resist ….

I tried to find photographs of such animals, so that I don´t make anything wrong, I hope. Dragonfly larves had not been in 😉

To be sure, I ask you just to have a look on my foto …

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Black mosquitoes larvae and pupae. Perfectly safe for the fish 😉 just do not expose yourself to the imagoes and everyone will be fine :whistle:

O.k.! 😉
    But I have had in reality already planaria, hydra and dragonfly larves …. And even here in the forum tells someone from time to time about parasites who have killed all fish …. :woohoo: :side: 😉

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I think that feeding this stuff from your garden is super safe. Basicly if there are no fish nd no snails that are very common carriers of parasite evolving stages, its pretty much ok. Of course planaria and hydra are not pleasant, but they will not hurt adult fish so of course you need to be careful but with fry only. Feeding live foods will always bring this problems but you will raise no Paros on Tetramin and feeding only Moina and Artemia is not optimal even though Paros are much better equiped to survive on monodiets than some other fish. Mosquito larvae are the most valueble and safe food source you can obtain on your garden. Of course be always very careful with pond foods. I do not feed my fish stuff that comes from localities with fish or localities that could possible be contaminated.

O.k.! 😉

Now I have another reason to go more often to my garden. :cheer: the neighbors will be pleased if I come more often to cut the grass B)

Can I leave the set so with nature as it goes? With new rain water from time to time?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

you can leave as it is as long as you enough larvae for your needs, you can add some organic fertlizer as guano for example if you need to make the water more “stinky”. As you realized yourself, it makes the water atractive for the mosquito females as it means there will be enough food for the larvae.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.