The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Living food for Paros

Home Forums Global Methods Living food for Paros

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • Author

Thank you!
    Do you cover the bowl also?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

If there is a lot of light around, it is worth covering the non transparent part of the bowl. I have it set up on the window so there is always enough light for the nauplii to swim to.

Peter Finke
    Participant

The tea sieve method:

This method works perfect if one is forced to use bad Artemia with many egg-relics. Mostly eggs (cysts) and hatched animals are of different size. The supposition that both are of the same size is wrong. In any brand he eggs (cysts) are more or less bigger.

But:

– mind, that there are different species and variants of Artemia that all differ in the size of the cysts and the size of the hatched naupliae, and
    – mind, that there are many different sieves for tea.

Olivier Perrin, one of the best breeders worldwide of Paro’s, phaerichthys vaillanti and other blackwater fish from south-east Asia showed a perfect match to me: He uses a special Artemia brand with a special size of cysts and hatched animals, and he had a perfect match of a tea sieve accordings to that sizes. It sorts out unhatched eggshells at about 100%.

Hello again!
    I´m still making my investigations … 😉
    The “light method” is really good, but I´ve still now not found a bigger plastic bowl and the stuff to make the separation, but I´m looking for, to follow Deepin peats way to get a bigger amount of naupliae.

Till now I have now three of those black ones on my photo.

But I still didn´t give up the sieve method.
    So far as I see now, I will need a sieve plus minus 0,2 mm .
    The normal naupliae sieves of the hobby market are available in 1,0 mm, 0,6mm, 0,5mm, 0,3mm,0,18mm and 0,15 mm.

Relevant for naupliae are 0,18 and perhaps 0,15 (here you can get the very small ones).
    In 0,18 you still find napliae and eggs if they come through 0,3 (directly the same, but it was the try to get them separated with that 0,3 😉 ). Therefore I guess the right size of the sieve must be between 0,19 and 0,23 perhaps ..

Now I´m looking for the sieve with the ideal size 😉
    Normal european industrial tea sieves are not smaller sized than 0,5mm, thats already very very rare and fine …

I´ve found a website of an aquarist who sold last year naupliae sieves sized 0,2 mm, perhaps he will answer me.

Andy Love
    Participant

If my maths is correct (mostly it isn’t!) then 0.15mm can be expressed as 150 microns.

There are sets of artemia sieves that you can buy. The set that I have has the brand name “Hobby” and consists of four sieves (5 x 5cm) of 900, 560, 300 and 180 micron mesh. I think JBL offer similar sets – though I don’t know their mesh gauges.

I also have a 53 micron sieve bought from here. If you scroll down the page you’ll come to it ; and you’ll also see a 125 micron sieve. Alternatively, you can buy the mesh separately and make your own sieves!

There surely must be an equivalent source in your country : the keywords to use for a search are the appropriate translations of ‘mesh’ and ‘micron’.

If not, then I’m sure ZM Systems will send overseas.

Thank you!
    I have Hobby and JBL. As I wrote, they have 0,3mm, 0,18 mm and 0,15mm.
    0,3mm is too big, and 0,18 mm too small to let
    Naupliae through, except a few very small naupliae,
    these really without eggs .
    Now I can get a 0,2 mm, I’ll order this for my next try.

:unsure: I find now a new species in my balcony buckets – didn’t find any thing in the www, forgot to make a foto:
    But it’s easy to describe: as large as black mosqiuito larves or bigger, when grown,
    It has just a zeppelin shaped body, and a thin, thready tail as long as the body. … In the sieve it looked first like a worm, than I saw the tail. :blink:

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I have no idea, picture or did not happen 😀

Ijl and me have found out : larvae of Eristalis tenax!
    🙂

Gonin herve
    Participant

I’m making my own sieves by buying the filter the professional painter use to filter their paint ,it is a kind of plastic material.In France it was sold by 1 square meter.You cut the size you want and glue it on your frame.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

The same is done with meshes for offset printing, you can have very fine meshes but it is quite expensive material.

Hello!
    Now the season for my balcony mosquito larvaes seems to be gone.
    But in my garden I got today still fine small larvaes! 😉

On my balcony I find just these hard skinned worms (one or two also in the garden). Does anybody here knows them?

Just to mention: I have continued with my naupliae experiments in the thread “Artemia methods” … I came to a success! :whistle: :cheer: B)

Hello!
    1. does anybody knows the worms on the last photo?
    2. Cyclops: I don´t want to change the subject in Bernds Thread “parvolus” too much, so I want to write here about
    cyclops….

In the DATZ (a german aquaristic magazine) from September 2011 is the main subject living food.
    The author writes, that Cyclops are really a very good food for fish, but he gives the warning, that they can also be dangerous when grown to large. He writes that they can eat young fish and can also be dangerous for adult small fish (that remembers me of my dragonfly larvaes …) …..

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Dorothee. Some, especially bigger species of cyclops (these mostly occure in summer), may be dangerous when you overfeed and the rest of the nauplii in the empty tank cant find their natural nourishment (like infusoria for example). Then they sometimes attack the fry and may bite it or even kill it. If you feed reasonable amounts in your Paro tanks with plants and substrate, it is not dangerous at all, unless you bring home some Ergasilus (true parasitic copepod that attacks even grown fish). I have seen this only once in my life when I was using a food from pond with fish and I have only seen one specimen. No need to be afraid 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.