The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Living food for Paros

Home Forums Global Methods Living food for Paros

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Tautvilas Laureckis
    Participant

Does anyone use carrot or carrot juice for micros? Some aquarists say it is better than plain micros grown on oat flakes. Worms become orange colour and fish can get better colour (more vitamins?). Is there any other vegatables or fruits which could be mixed with micro worms cultures? For banana worms I use some banana fruit.. Please share your knowledge.

David Jones
    Participant

Hello Yankadi, I have not used carrot juice for microworms, but I have used small amounts of the pulp from juicing carrots, kale, spinach and beets to feed grindal worms. They thrive on it and I have fed the worms to smaller soft water fishes without any signs of problems. I have not tried this with my paros yet. I cannot foresee any reason why this would not be good for the paros, but that is speculation, as I have read nothing on this anywhere.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

I have been doing years (6) Micros with bread flour and fresh yeast (fresh yeast from the refrigerated section), which is fine makes little effort and is available in large quantities, the food approaches use but also just a week and then have new. That is always freshly available.
    Whether the worms need vitamins and thus the Paros also I can get but these do not confirm damage it is not safe.
    Would be interesting who and how his Micros makes to hear whether it is even easier and better and odorless 🙂

Now I have a question concerning vinegar ales: how do you take them out of their glass to feed them? Is it necessary to clean them from vinegar? And if yes, how do you do this (one tip in the www. was to pour them through a coffee filter, most of them would be sieved out by the filter….

Peter Finke
    Participant

You must avoid the vinegar, that’s the problem. The coffee filter is one usual method. Another one that you should try is the following:

– Keep your vinegar eels in bottles with a long thin neck. Keep the vinegar level low so that at the neck’s end there is an air-filled room about at least four or five cm (two inches).
    – Take a pad of wotton wool (normal medicinary cotton wool) and fix a thread on it of about ten cm (5 inches long). Failures can depend on false cotton wool or cotton wool pressed too heavily so that the eels can’t work their ways through it.
    – Place the pad with help of a stick in that way into the neck of the bottle that it just touches the surface of the vinigar with the eels. Perhaps you must try several times.
    – Now you fill cautiously water in the empty neck above the cotton wool. If you do it cautiously, only little mixture with the vinegar will happen.
    – Wait for about half an hour. During this time the vinegar eels will work themselves through the cotton wool in the clear water above. You can follow it.
    – If you think there are enough eels, you can pull the eel-filled water by drawing at the thread and pour it into a glass. Perhaps you must train this also.
    – Then you have rather pure eel-water and you can give it intio your tank by using a pipet or small spoon.

This is a good method if trained a bit.

Thank you Peter for your long answer!
    Yes, I will train your method! I have already read about that, but I couldn’t really understand how it should work, now you have described the process very precisely so I think I understand!

Peter Finke
    Participant

Some friends say they have better results with filter wool. That may indeed be the case. Try.

I will try so, thank you!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Just a litte comment – you can see an example of such a ‘bottle’ as Peter is describing here (in our food article ;))
    https://parosphromenus-project.org/en/prachtgurami-aquaristics/food.html

Hi, Helene, thank you! That visualization was the missing link in my comprehension!

tim conway
    Participant

Just a note on live brine shrimp….dont throw away the seemingly unhatched eggs out of your current batch ….have another tub/container to put theese in and sure enough some will eventually hatch and if using a system of having one new n one old tub you will end up with Brine Shrimp adults in the older tub for a different treat for your fish :]

Jonette Stabbert
    Participant

TA-DAH! At last, I have mosquito larvae — both kinds, black and red, in the same tub! :cheer:

My biggest problem in fishing them out: They try to hide at the bottom (that’s where the red ones are), but I use my net to scoop them up. I lift them out and rinse the net with clean water, but I’m still left with debris in the net, which then goes into my aquarium! How do others deal with this?

tim conway
    Participant

i use a dosing syringe n try to catch /suck them up that way ….the same with daphnia.

Jonette Stabbert
    Participant

Thanks so much! I followed your advice (it was fun) and it worked well.

Cheers,
    Jonette

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Either way, if you need larger quantities
    You have to pour it on a screen, of course, not make too fine and only slight water contact, then they go through the net and you can skim it clean ……. on bloodworms. In the black, you simply do in a größenen container with clean water and wait until the dirt has settled and then you can the black fly larvae easily and cleanly Fishing out with the Nets.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.