The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Methodical alternatives

Home Forums European Methods Methodical alternatives

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Peter Finke
    Participant

To start this topic on European methods, I want shortly characterize some very distinct methods of several successful European experts on Parosphromenus:

1. Walther Foersch (the “founder”): tanks of 20 liters totally empty except small bubble filter and cave (small square flowerpot), one pair, different experiments as raising of the fry is concerned;
    2. Günter Kopic (a “pioneer”): tanks of 30 liters, similarly “empty” as Foersch’s, specially designed caves (“Kopic style”) from ceramic, dark light, some floating plants, mostly intensive breeding by separate raising of the fry;
    3. Bernd Bussler: sometimes more plants, different caves (including film-capsules), feeding the pairs with Cyclops, mostly extensive breeding;
    4. Martin Hallmann: few or no plants, tanks up to 40 liters, bubble filter, dark light, single pairs, caves from wood, tubes, ceramic, both methods (extensive and intensive);
    5. Karen Koomans/NL: tanks up to 60 liters, crowded with plants, extensive breeding, use of the product “Easy Life”, water changed not very often
    6. Allan Brown/UK: very small tanks, sometimes 5 liters, very intensive water changing, pairs, intensive breeding;
    7. Horst Linke: tanks of dfferent size, caves from leaves, light normal, feeding the pairs with Tubifex.

What’s y o u r method?

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I use 12 and 20 liter tanks, – with no filtration or heating. No gravel, but sometimes spagnum or leaves to cover the bottom, – small piece of wood, caves (clay) – javaferns and java mos, and many times duckweed to cover the surface.
    Mostly one pair for one 12 liter, but sometimes in 30 liter more fish, like 2.4.
    Not intensive breeding at all, but also very little ‘succes’ rate, – one or two youngfish every now and then. Really too little, and I am not happy with it.
    For this reason I am thinking I should change my concept, because obviously this is not the ‘way’ to produce many fish. Which I actually would consider being a succes if I could.

Christian Hinz
    Participant

As Peter has already enumerated are there several different ways to breed Parosphromenus.
    One is suitable for the extensive method (many plants) and others for the intensive breeding method (only a few plants, some even almost “sterile”). Each type can carry on their way to success with proper execution.
    I prefer the way of Martin Hallmann: no or only a few plants, bubble-filter and only one breeding pair per aquarium. Also I have more leaves in the aquariums (two to three layers) and a swamp root. As caves I use ceramic or sometimes film-capsules.
    What I try in recent times is to don’t take the young fish separately in plastic boxes but in a so-called “Gerdkasten” in the same aquarium. With a smaller number of young fish to 15 it will appear to work well.

Christian Hinz

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Was ist ein “Gerd Kasten”, ich vermute die Einhängekästen von Gerd Ahrnt aus der nähe von Hamburg?

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

What is a “Gerd box”, I suspect the Einhängekästen Gerd Ahrnt from near Hamburg?

Christian Hinz
    Participant
    Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Ich habe immer freie Aquarien in denen ich die Laichröhren lege so gibt es die wenigsten Verluste und die Jungtiere haben genug Platz, und was ich noch für wichtiger halte, sie können bis zum Erwachsenstadium zusammen in einem Aquarium verbleiben ohne Fang oder Umsetzstress.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Bernd, das musst Du nochmal erläutern (You must explain that once more):
    1. Mit “Laichröhren” meinst Du die Laichhöhlen? (Do you mean the “caves”?)
    2. Nimmst Du Höhlen mit Gelege (oder mit Larven) heraus (ohne das pflegende Männchen) und gibst sie in ein separates Aquarium? Das kann kaum gut gehen! (Do you put caves with eggs/and/or larvae and without the caring male (?) in a new tank? I don’t think that will work!)

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Hallo Peter
    Das geht sehr gut. Ich nutze Laichröhren die gerade groß genug sind das sich die Elterntiere noch darin drehen können. Denke das wichtig ist das die Larven schwimmen, sie bleiben noch 2 Tage freischwimmend sind in der Röhre. Ich nehme dann die ganze Röhre ohne Elterntier aus dem Aquarium und überführe sie in ein leeres Aquarium, dort kann ich dann geziehlt füttern. Hat sich bestens bewährt. Jungtiere füttere ich mit Micro, Essigälchen und schwarzen Mückenlarven, frisch geschlüpft aus den Eipacketen “Eischiffchen”.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Thank you, Bernd, for clarifying that issue. I was skeptical because in your first message your method was not quite clear. Now it is. And it is an interesting variant. The point is that transferring the cave with larvae inside must be done as late as possible, i.e. only shortly before the young fish swim out. Of course, it must be certain that the water conditions are strictly identical in the two tanks.
    As an information to others: Bernd Bussler is one of our best and most experienced breeders of Parosphromenus in Germany. He has bred nearly all species with continuous success. Therefore, his method surely is worthwhile to be followed by people who want to breed bigger numbers of young fish than are to be expected when left in their parent’s home tank.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Das Wasser im Aquarium in das die Jungtiere abgesetzt werden muss nicht identisch sein, wichtig ist meines erachtens das die Jungtiere nach denm umsetzten in der Laichröhre verbleiben und nicht ausgeschüttet werden, das überleben sie meist nicht, das Restwasser das nach dem umsetzen in der Röhre verbleibt reicht aus das sie sich auf andere Wasserparameter umstellen können.
    Sie wachsen auch besser wenn das Wasser nicht so sauer ist wie bei den Elterntieren.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.