The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Moina

Home Forums Global Methods Moina

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andy Love
    Participant

Right – I did my little investigation. The result is here.

As you can see,the rehydrated powder was full of life and much of that was composed of photosynthesising creatures. Light is therefore significant, if not for the Moina themselves then for the maintenance of their food supply – of which the ZM stuff provides a concentration.

For ‘instant’ fry food I use Protogen pellets which provide an abundance of infusoria. ZM provides some (apart from the single-cell algae) but not nearly as much, it appears. Still, it’s useful to know that it could be used in an emergency!

One aspect of the Protogen, incidentally, is that it’s packed with nitrates and phosphates (inter alia) – so maybe that would mean it wouldn’t necessarily be suitable as a source of infusoria for Paros fry?

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

🙂 thanks for sharing. I am not sure I quilte understand :).
    But you say that light has meaning mainly for the things moina’s feed ón? And thus not so much for their ‘Well-being’ so to speak?
    I dont know these pellets you mention, I usually feed my moina’s with yeast only (for lack of something else which seems to work as well)

Ted L. Dutcher
    Participant

Morina culture is in place and growing well. Keeping them on the cool side to slow growth (will order fish any day)

For additional help try this website: edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa024
    It is the Universty of Florida website, hope you can access.

Been feeding small amount of yeast and powdered (spirulina) algae. They are doing well and I will be setting up 2 more plastic containers… to be sure I don’t lose them all !

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.