The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

My experience with Parosphromenus Sp. Bintan

Home Forums Global Breeding My experience with Parosphromenus Sp. Bintan

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, next picture – 20 days old fry. They eating well and Finke’s rule works, now I saw 8 of them at one time:) I’m doing about 20-30 % water changes on every second day. Greetings!

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, young paros are doing well and last time I saw 10 of them 🙂 Soon I will move them to a biger aqua. I’m still doing water changes every second day ( conductivity – 41 us).
    Greetings!

Peter Finke
    Participant

Martin, you are lucky and you behave consequent: I do not think it is necessary to change water every two days. But it is by far better to go on like this than to become lazier now. For it’s a common thruth that one likes to believe that things could be easier and work nevertheless. That will work for some time, but then often the turnover happens …
    And I think that “Finke’s rule” has probably come to its end by now. It’s a good rule but it works for a certain time only, and then the last fish has been detected. But 10 young is quite a good result for the first time!
    So congratulations! Now we have to hope that there are both sexes. That is not self-evident. We had spawning with 100% males or with 100% females … The smaller the number the bigger the possibility of a one-sided result. But perhaps you are lucky in that respect, too. I am inclined to believe that the fish in the foreground with the light edges of its dorsal could develop into a male. It’s an interesting business to ask who could recognize the sex as early as possible …

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, I finally moved all fry to another (biger) aquarium. There are 11 of them 🙂 So I’m very happy. Their relocation become faster because I saw that in main aqua one of males guarding the eggs. I decided to remove eggs to small aqua and try to get new fry… Now I have little fry again 🙂 And this time there were more eggs then before:) I started to give them microworms and those little “things” from daphnia culture ( I still don’t have any idea what is it:) Fry eating and this is most important.
    I must also mention about thing which happend at the beginning of first fry develop.
    On first days of giving food to my paro fry I have opportunity to get live paramecium special prepared for fish food. Their were in salt water and I filtered them before giving to paros fry. But I did not clean them by fresh water , just put them in to aquarium. When several days after , I checked conductivity it was 800 us !! Thing is that all of fry survived ( I did several water changes – not one big) And I thing it is becouse those conductivity change were done by sodium ions [Na+] not calcium [Ca2+]. I don’t know it is truth but this is my explanation. Those somone of You have similar experience? Greetings!

Peter Finke
    Participant

Martin, you are fully right in comparing Calcium and Natrium. Our fish are not accustomed to Ca, not at all. But they stand (or even need) a certain amount of Na. Think of fighting oodinium by Na, an old method. There are better methods today, but if you are uncertain about the real pest or illness, giving a rather high concentration of Na will often help the fish to survive and get healthy again. This would never happen with Ca. That mineral must be avoided at any rate. It’s one of the main reasons why our tap waters are badly suited for keeping or breeding black water fish. At least if not treated by the well-known methods that remove the Ca.

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, attached pictures of my first young paros and second fry. All 11 young are doing great I give them artemia naulpi, microworms, very little daphnia and cyclops. One question about it’s name… this is Parosphromenus sp. “Bintan” or correct form is Parosphromenus sp. Sentang ? I think that those Sentang forms are more blue but what You think.
    Maybe it will be good to start some topic when all who have this undiscrabed form of Paros will attache pictures of their paros (males), it will be easier to compare all forms and establish some similar color variants ( without orgin location at the begining). I know that “others forms ” file is in building but maybe it is good to start create some picture base…?
    Greetings!!

Steffens, Sylvia
    Participant

They look great, congratulations! And thank you for these pictures.

How “big” are the young paros? About 1 cm or just longer?

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, thank You, I have just measured them 🙂 and the smaller have about 1.2 – 1.3cm and the bigger 1.6 – 1.7cm
    Greetings!

Peter Finke
    Participant

Martin, your fish are definitely spec. Sentang It has not more blue but less than many others. So, rise your young, and then try another species additionally!
    I just returned from eastern Poland (Biebrza and Bialowicza), it was great!

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello Everybody ! After a “short” break I’m here again. I had many work with my new fish room and it is still not ready yet, but step by step I’m closer to the end ( Ups, I forgot.. It’s never ends..:) ).
    I still have only one species of Parosphromenus , but I’m also ” in touch” with Peter and on the soonest occasion I will go to Germany for few new species.
    But back to P.”Sentang” . I’m keeping them since 1.5 year by now and I feel that I know them better and better. My latest personal success was their last breeding. For the first time I left the male with eggs until larvae started to swimm. And I was supprised when I discovered that I have around 35 fry :):). Previously ( without a male) it was 11 and 10 fry. One more time my experience confirmed what I have read in almost every paro article – keep the male with eggs as long as it’s possible = You will have more fry…

Below , pictures of my aquariums rack (All of top of the rack is reserved for paro tanks :))
    And also my new ~2 month old fry little fight 😉
    Greetings!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.