The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

my new linkei :-)

Home Forums Global Species my new linkei :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author

O.k. – one minute each foto …

this is the big male – but it seems that the small male is also very active ….

here comes the last …
    this one was double …

but not least … 😉

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Well it all looks really good, they feel comfortable and show color.
    Beautiful Paros you have :cheer:

😉 :silly: 🙂

Hello again 🙂

everything seems well.
    Just to be sure – I´m still backwater beginner – some water parameter:

conductivity: about 42 mS
    pH: 4,4 in the morning (this seems too much for my caridina simoni, I see they do not much work now and I took out already two dead ones ..). Is it o.k. for the paros?

I´ve found a hang on UV Clearer made by NEWA, 11W (for my 30cm high tank the size of the 9W would fit better, but I built a acrylic glass with silicone at the tank so that it fits the 40cm the clearer needs ..

From which age on do they begin to breed?
    Bernd ;-), how “old” is the bigger man? He is already the adult size, isn’t he?

I have already another backwater tank to be a youngster flat if my Paros or my Spaerichtys selatensis begin to have young ones …. :whistle:

Davy Grenouillet
    Participant

Hello Dorothee,

Yours water parameters are good,

I think that the Paros from Bernd are ready to breed. I have 3 species from Bernd, they breed at home after 1 week!

Hello!
    Now I have made a new observation:
    The bigger (adult) one swims from time to time very quick to the surface of the water and seems to get some air.
    But I thought the Paros doesn’t use their labyrinth organ any more?
    What does that mean?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I would assume that he is building a nest 🙂 Even though I have never seen my Paros go for air directly. They are all acting like the cave is not theirs and crawling as far as they can from the cave entrance to get air for the bubble nest and then back.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Parosphromenus species have a fully developed labyrinth organ, but they don’t use or need it for normal life in floating waters with a rich oxygen content. If the milieu degenerates what whatever reason (and you can sometimes watch it in bad aquaria) they can use it and they do.

In your case it’s something different. As Deapin’ peat says your linkei male builds or renews a bubble nest. And here one must know that different species act in different a manner. P. linkei or P. filamentosus males in such situations frequently rise to the water surface and fetch air; their bubble nests are the biggest of all Paros.

With many other species you rarely become a witness of this; they do it at night or they do it much less than the named two. Many of their “bubble nests” are hardly existent, for instance ornaticauda or parvulus nests consist of the clutch only and nearly no bubble at all. Many other species (alfredi, tweedie, quindecim, pahuensis and most others) have very small bubble-nests that tend to diminish in the course of time; it’s a relic of a behaviour which is no longer needed.

So in your case it’s a typical behaviour of P. linkei or filamentosus (to a certain extent of the true deissneri and spec. Ampah, too) that belongs to his special way of building a relatively big bubble nest and his manner of renewing it eagerly during the first days of care for the eggs and larvae.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Thanks for extensive explanation Peter. My probable bintan form males have a ratio of approximately one bubble to one egg 🙂 sometimes even less bubbles. Only one time, I was able to observe a decent nest when there was a new clutch in the cave that was housing some larvae already.

Thank you for your quick answers!
    Then the male probably makes a bubble nest. I’m astonished, because the females are not yet adult, they have about half size of the male..

But the water must be o.k., regularly water changes, hang on UV clearer and Czech air lift should bring enough oxygen I suppose….
    And the other tree fishes don’t take air from the surface …

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

[quote=”7 Zwerge” post=3701]
    And the other tree fishes don’t take air from the surface …[/quote]

Then the nest is clearly the case 🙂

Hallo!
    At the moment seems that the two male court one female … Will this be a problem?

They had very often now fine black mosquito larves 😉

Davy Grenouillet
    Participant

Hi Dorothee,

No problem, she will choose the best for breed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.