The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

my new linkei :-)

Home Forums Global Species my new linkei :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Bill Little
    Participant

Thought I would attempt to adjust the lighting on the image. If it is helpful I will adjust the second photo

Thank You Little!
    If you like, you can try! But the photos won’t become really sharp… 😉
    But they tell the story of my Paro’s Camping ;-), I think 😉

Bill Little
    Participant

Dorothee — I attempted cleaning up the second photo with little to no improvement. As you say the image is not very sharp.

another photo, with tripod, I think, thats the best my camera manages ….

special light experiments I won’t make, I think it is more important not to disturb the breeding …

I´m a little bit worried – I guess the larvaes will begin to swim next thursday – (thats the 16.10.2014).
    on 25th of october our fish sitter will have to take care – because we are some days away from home…
    I plan this time to let the offspring in the tank with the parents. I hope more often water change will be sufficient (twice a week 50%?) with many naupliae in the first 9 days, as long as I can care ….

Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=3893]I am not sure whether this strange structure is funghus; I had it myself several times. I do not know under which circumstances they occur, however. At any case, it is not dangerous at all.
    But the other, more important thing is that small bubble-nest: At least on one picture is the bundle ob bubbles to be seen. Very rarely Paros build a small bubble nest within a thick structure of algae or higher plants, for instance Java moss. I had it myself twice with P. paludicola and P. linkei, too.[/quote]

Sometimes P. pahuensis build bubble nests in plants too. The “structure” looks like freshwater Bryozoa (Süßwasser-Moostierchen).

Now the larvaes dissapeared, the two males are to be seen again and courting…. One of them was hiding the last two? weeks in the background, I became a bit worried about him, but perhaps he was also breeding?
    Now the babies must try to survive, I guess?
    For the next time: what is the time to take the offspring out? Some days after having left the eggs?
    I had thought they would begin to swim on Thursday this week, but they dissapeared already yesterday, Monday …

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Hello Dorothee, you may remove the larvae as soon as they darken in coloration. That is the stage where no losses due to the lack of parental care should appear.

Hello Pawel,

and feeding just when they begin to swim?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Yes, just when you find out, that you will have to raise a clutch, you need to make sure that you have enough small food. At least with my Paros, artemia is impossible to start with. I was able to feed with FBS strain after 3 days and Sanders premium after 5 days, before that you need infuzoria or rotifera.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

And of course make sure that you have a space for the young fish to grow as you may obtain quite large numbers of fry this way and when raised intesively, they need space becouse they are quite agressive to each other. Every little fish needs it’s own little space, therefore I add a lot of leaves to offer enough hiding places when I move the fry from the ice-cream jar to 10 liter tank.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I feed mine microworms mostly from the first days. Vinegar eels are also useable.

One of the things one also has to remember is to feed well, more times a day is good.

Just last week I seperated some p. tweediei, which had been very inactive for a year at least, – 2 males and 3 females in a bigger tank. No activity at all.
    Then I seperated them into pairs in small tanks, and the next day one of the couples had eggs. I was also able to follow the development, so once they were free swimming but still in the cave, I took out the male and female.
    So I expect also to have some p. tweedieis soon :)… I can see them dart around, in particular before the light is on, and if I look into the tank with a flash light.

They are courting again 😉

An whats about temperature in separate tank for the Minis – with heating if big enough? The round glas bowl (Peter Finke tells) or the ice cream jar (Pawel tells) have a lower temperature than the parents tank (parents tank 26°C, room temperature 21°C).

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Let the icecream jar float on the surface of the water in the parental tank, lower the level of the water for it to fit in there if needed. B) 😉

Since yesterday I can see swimming with the adult fish one juvenile, about 2 cm long .. 😉 must have been born early when I got the linkeii from Bernd .. guess he/she wasn’t already in the water as a larvae with the parents in the bottle ..

In two weeks I plan to make a census in my tank (sorry, a bit too late for the forum census), to see what is going on in my jungle …. (much of java moss)….

Hope the juvenile didn’t feed him/herself with little brothers and sisters … is in a very good condition …. :S and already rather big, I guess ….

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.