The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

My new P. quindecim

Home Forums Global Species My new P. quindecim

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Yes, that’s what I supposed. It’s not easy to be clarified – if most paro breeders keep their pairs in separate tanks with no rivals. It might possibly be observed when keeping two or more pairs in a bigger tank with room for small territories for each male.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

My very new quindecim ………….. 😉

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Good Morning!

I just watched my quindecim displaying and took some photos which I would like to show. I find the courtship behaviour of quindecim rather interesting because it’s not only the male displaying his brightest colours in front of the female. In quindecim, the female “answers” the courting of the male by displaying herself. It’s sort of a back and forth: first he “flashes” in his brightest colours, fins spread, and moves sidewards towards her, while she moves backward looking at him in the same tempo he approaches her. Then she spreads her fins and moves sidewards towards him. First they display side by side, she moving in his direction and he drawing back in the same tempo, still displaying. Then he stops displaying and simply watches her displaying to him in the same way he did.
    My rubrimontis and nagyi never show this sort of display of the female – I just watched in pahuensis, too.

Here are some pictures. I am afraid the tank is not very clean – the courtship behaviour always seems to be very successful, I have young quindecim of all sizes in this tank and thus am too afraid to clean it thoroughly. And the young seem to feel well underneath the leaf litter and fibres ……

Bill Little
    Participant

Stefanie – your photos are wonderful. I don’t think anyone worries about the cleanliness of the tank. You do a wonderful job of documenting the courtship behavior in the tank. Probably attempting to clean the tank would most likely upset the courtship process and you would not have been able to share that sequence with our members. Thanks again for sharing…

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.