The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

My P. pahuensis – from the beginning

Home Forums Global Pictures My P. pahuensis – from the beginning

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stefanie Rick
    Participant

I opened this thread to show photos of my new P. pahuensis. There are not many photos of this species – because of that I will show pictures from the very start of the fish in their new home. Even if the photos will not always be perfect – as I understood it’s good for now to have photos of their development to full maturity at all, even if the pictures might be only so-so.

So please don’t complain about the quality – I know, and I promise to improve!!! The fish and I need a little time …………

The male and his reflection:

After this getting very rosy:

Teunis
    Participant

lovely fish Stefanie

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Yes, lovely fish.
    Of course – patience is really important with fish-photos. I take many photos now, and its often like 1 in 50 thats really good :unsure:

Bill Little
    Participant

I have a friend who is a professional photographer and specializes in raising and photographing tropical fish. You never see a poor photograph of one of his fish. However, to get that one outstanding photograph he might take 50 photo. So the secret to great photos is taking numerous photos (great equipment and lighting also helps).

Stefanie Rick
    Participant
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

This is a lovely photo, – good to see your fish are looking well and obviously thriving.
    How is the sex ratio ? Any signs of spawning behaviour ?

ps. – I know I have asked you before regarding photoes, – but will ask again, – will it be all right to use some of your photoes in the species section ?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Good Morning, Helene,

yes, the fish are doing well – the pahuensis and also the quindecim. Both are pairs, both males are courting.

And yes – if some photos are good enough, you may use them to illustrate the species section. I would be pleased!

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Now he is sitting in his favorite cave …

…. while she is wearing a pale dress and looking very “pregnant”

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Very early this morning I was able to observe a very intense courtship display of my pahuensis-pair.
    I would like to show some photos – and I hope you excuse the photos being no brilliant close-ups. The pahuensis – especially the male – absolutely don’t like the photoflash, if I go to near. I didn’t want to interrupt the mating and thus took the photos from a small distance.

He then moved to his cave to swim sideways back down to her repeatedly, slightly tilted towards her, to show off his “broadside”.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

She answered this by assuming a nearly total head-down pose, then followed him up to the cave.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

😉 Something is going on there – no doubt about that. Very good photoes again

Peter Finke
    Participant

Helene, I suggest that we should put such nice photos and/or photo series additionally at the bottom of the according species page.

In this case the colour difference between male and female is striking. Often (but mostly in normal colouration only, here we have the breeding colouration) the colour difference in pahuensis is very small indeed. I remember fish of this species that were rather difficult to sex (as more often it can be the case with P. paludicola; that could very difficult indeed with P. p. Paka or Wakaf Tapei. In Stefanie’s pictures it is nicely to be seen that even in pahuensis there could be a marked sex difference in a courtship atmosphere.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I had some problems with the upload of the pictures, but now they finally show in our species page og P. pahuensis 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.