The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

New information regarding P. tweediei

Home Forums Asian Excursions New information regarding P. tweediei

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

The member of our advisory board Prof. Dr. Peter Beyer (Freiburg university, Germany), who visited the recent sites for P. tweediei for several times during the last years, was frightened by the remark of Chr. Hinz and B. Bussler early this year that they didn’t find that species again. So he visited the place in company with our friend from Paris, Olivier Perrin, a short time ago. Read his mail that he sent privately to us. They found the species again in good numbers:

Dear All,

As I have indicated to you ealier, I had during the last week the opportunity of visiting the P. tweediei sites (accompanied by O. Perrin). I am happy to inform you that at all three sites known to us, P. tweediei were present, although water levels were still too low. It was especially encouraging to see the relatively large number of juveniles. This is encouraging considering that I have found some of these sites essentially dry almost exactly one year ago.

This shall , by all means, not indicate that the species was “safe”. For some of these sites, the water level seems regulated by locks so, I wonder whether on could not ask for more attention guaranteeing at least a residual flow of water in times of drought. What do you think, Zahar?

I also visited the only P. alfredi site known to me so far. Also this species was found in good numbers. Further research to identify additional biotopes was unsuccessful (mainly because of a car we hired that was not adequate for entering into remote areas).

With kind regards, Peter

Pank Jit Sin
    Participant

That certainly is good news Peter. How about the supposed change of Alfredi to Nagyi at the previous location we went to a couple of years back? I’ve been getting reports that no alfredi can be found.

Christian Hinz
    Participant

This are really good news! I’ll be a second time this year in Malaysia in October. When I have got time I want to go to the area of Parosphromenus tweediei again. Now I have a description how to find the three known locations for tweediei (but I think that Bernd and I caught at two of this places and find no tweediei).
    Nevertheless we know now that all the six described Parosphromenus species of west Malaysia can be found.

zahar
    Participant

[quote=”parosphr” post=347]

Dear All,

As I have indicated to you ealier, I had during the last week the opportunity of visiting the P. tweediei sites (accompanied by O. Perrin). I am happy to inform you that at all three sites known to us, P. tweediei were present, although water levels were still too low. It was especially encouraging to see the relatively large number of juveniles. This is encouraging considering that I have found some of these sites essentially dry almost exactly one year ago.

This shall , by all means, not indicate that the species was “safe”. For some of these sites, the water level seems regulated by locks so, I wonder whether on could not ask for more attention guaranteeing at least a residual flow of water in times of drought. What do you think, Zahar?

I also visited the only P. alfredi site known to me so far. Also this species was found in good numbers. Further research to identify additional biotopes was unsuccessful (mainly because of a car we hired that was not adequate for entering into remote areas).[/quote]

None of us (at least the guys that we know) had made a “detail” survey of the are but I think none the original peat swamp is still standing. The area is basically consist of small towns (such as Pekan Nenas), villages and plantations – oil palm and pineapples; the 2 suitable plants for such acidic soil. To convert the swamp into habitable and plantable areas, a network of irrigation canals were made and these are usually permanent waterways; i.e. no locks, as the function is not to maintain the water levels as in planting ricebut rather to drain the water away.
    These areas have probably been there for the past 15-20 years, if not more, and the habitats for the aquatic inhabitants have (I belive) stabilised. That’s why we can still get the paros in front of the village houses (literally!). So, as long as the water flows through the peat soil (within the oil palms and pineapple plantations), the paros will still be there. But for how long? I don’t know.

Peter Beyer
    Participant

Jit, I can confirm that all of the Paros at the site you mention are alfredis, as before. How much substance is in the nagy-close-to-Kota-Tinrgi rumor? Do you have a site? I might be back in December and find the time to check.

David Armitage
    Participant

I caught them on the way to Desaru with Tony Pinto, Paul Jordan and Dennis Yong. We took a mining road and found them where we hoped there’s be alfredi. I have pictures of habitat and fish themselves but only a vague recollection of how we found the site.

Peter Beyer
    Participant

This alerts me a little, dear westowfish,because the site near Kota Tinggi I know and which I have visited four times already is on a sandy provisional road (that is in part like a dam leading through a residual peat swamp)and which can be referred to as a “mining road”. Lorrys go there all the time coming back loaded with sandy soil. Are-we talking about the same site? If so, I and others (such as Jit Sin and Zahar) have been collecting alfredis there which are, however, very hard to keeep in a state where they maintain red colors.But they are not difficult to breed. And there is no resemblance to nagys. But maybe you are talking about some other mining road. “On the way to Desaru” means coming from North? I would be eager to see your habitat pictures or can provide mine, which would go best through regular email, I presume.

David Armitage
    Participant

I wish they had been alfredi, believe me. If you contact me on westowfish@yahoo.co.uk, I’ll send some pix.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.