The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

New Paros for my tank

Home Forums Global Species New Paros for my tank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan P
    Participant

Hi everyone,

This was sold to me as filamentosus, perhaps this is the new new species making all the fuss in Europe? I tried to get some nice pictures, it seems the caudals are all nipped. One has a pretty long tail, seems to come to a point, but again, nipped. Any comments appreciated. I believe I got 5 males and 1 female.

Female has a long caudal also, but rounded off at the end. Also has no coloration, no turquoise/green in the fins. Very pale body.I plan on giving them their own tank.

Ryan P
    Participant
    Peter Finke
    Participant

Yes, taken the minor quality of those pictures for granted they seem to be identical with the new form at first called sp. cf. filamentosus, now officially according to the place where it was found P. sp. Ampah. This is a place noth of Banjamarsin and south of Murateweh. We are still unsure whether it is a subspecies of filamentosus (that borders the region in the south) or a new proper species.
    The males have a tail pattern somewhat similar to filamentosus but there are (nearly) no filaments; the females have a rounded caudal. The whole colouring has with the exception of the clear black of the fin’s edges a reduced tendency to “black and white”; some brown colours are developing in some animals.
    The first spawnings have been observed by H. Linke and M. Hallmann.

Ryan P
    Participant

I had one other which had a reddish, more of a brown trace color in the caudal fin, but it died shortly after putting it in the tankThe black edging seen in the caudal turns green/turquoise when displaying. I have taken a short video of displaying between this male, and another “blue line” I will tried to post tomorrow and provide a link.

Ryan P
    Participant

My PH is probably around 5. I did this with RO water and a buffering product. I would like to now start adding humic substances to the water. I came across a Blackwater extract product by Brightwell. It says it adds humic substances to the water. It says to remove the carbon when using it, as I would if using real peat moss. My question is, what do members here use for filters then without the carbon? I know in many things I’ve read, it is suggested to use a sponge filter, but are members using carbon too? What about the peat in the water? I just want the water to stay clean.

bartian
    Participant

I never use carbon. It’s only useful for filtering medicine residues after finishing the cure.

I only use ceramic rings and other bio-stuff. Sometimes also peat.
    What I use for adding humic is oak, beech and other leaves. Those will stain the water and lower the pH.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.