The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

P. nagyi “Pekan Nenasi”

Home Forums Global Pictures P. nagyi “Pekan Nenasi”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Thank you, Peter, for this detailed answer.

In my case, I have decided to leave everything as it is. It would be relatively easy to take the female out – if she were the “sinner”. It is impossible to take the male out when he guards a clutch – and it would bear all the risks you listed. So I have to resign myself to having a pair which will not produce any offspring.

I now have this single young. Once I have identified it’s sex I can try to find a partner and see if this leads to fry of nagyi in my tanks at least.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Today it showed again, here’s a better picture:

The fish ist still small, about to reach 2 cm length, with still no strong colouration in the fins. But I think it’s a male, because of the really prominent white seam of anal and dorsal fin. The dorsal fin already shows a strong chestnut tinge and a whiff of a dark spot. For me a much too strong colouration for a very young female.
    What do you think?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

I think I was right – it’s a male:

I was quite convinced it’s a male – so it’s no big surprise to me.
    But …………. there’s another surprise to come …. wait and see ………… I am anticipating your opinions ….

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

So – now here’s another picture of my young fish. Look at it closely and tell me bluntly what you think:

john walsh
    Participant

Stephanie, I have never raised P.Nagyi, so I am unfamiliar with how colours can change as a young fish matures…BUT, if i had just seen that photo in isolation i would guess that the (seemingly) red in the dorsal fin would make it most likely to be P Anjunganensis
    ! Could it be an unwitting cross?

By the way. Whatever it is, it is a BEAUTIFUL thing 🙂

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Hey – that’s really no bad suspicion …………. but it’s not anjunganensis – I do not have that species (although I would be glad if I did!)

Those who have read all my “silly questions” here in the forum and my reports about accidents in the past might suspect what I suspect ………………. Let’s wait for some more answers to come ….

bartian
    Participant

Do you mean to say it’s a hybrid with one of your unknown ones?

Whatever it is, you seem to have found your way in paro breeding, don’t you?

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

🙂 I see a Nagyi male …

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”bartian” post=3006]Do you mean to say it’s a hybrid with one of your unknown ones?
    [/quote]

Yes, Bartian, that’s what I suspect. I am not quite sure – that’s why I need your opinions.

[quote=”helene”]:) I see a Nagyi male … [/quote]

Helene, it’s definitely a male with a nagyi parent ………….. but to me the other parent must be quindecim. Look at the pattern in the caudal ……………… look at the much too red dorsal fin with no shimmering band ………………… I was quite sure to have one single offspring of my nagyi pair which managed to escape from being eaten ……….. but as I studied the photos I recognized this very un-nagyi pattern in the tail fin ……….. and a big suspicion arose ….

I still don’t see the fish very often, he is shy and always hiding somewhere. But I am waiting to see his colouration develop and to take more photos ……….

I will continue this topic in the “Unintended hybrids“-thread.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Now, to put an end to this discussion:

Definitely his father’s son … 😉 : P. nagyi Pekan nenasi ….

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

That interesting that he did turn out so clear 🙂 .. he does look like a fine nagyi male now ..
    Beatiful little fish, but then nagyi males are always so charming in my opinion.

Rod Porteous
    Participant

Superb photos Stefanie!
    Is the purple/blue belly that pronounced in real life or is that a camera color change?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”ourmanflint” post=3136]Superb photos Stefanie!
    Is the purple/blue belly that pronounced in real life or is that a camera color change?[/quote]

No, I’m afraid that’s an artefact caused by the camera. The belly is silvery in this mood.

But I have the impression that young nagyi males (at least those from Pekan Nenas) have a stronger turquoise tinge in the iridescent bands of dorsal and anal fin than older males. I looked through older photos of my old male and noticed this, and now looking at the young male I notice the same.
    The bands of my older male are now of a greenish golden colouration, as shown in my avatar photo. I don’t think that it’s an artefact because the same camera with the same settings shows turquoise bands in the young and green-golden bands in the older male.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Now, let me show you what I detected some minutes ago on this beautiful morning in May:

I saw this young fish in the tank of my adult nagyi-pair (which never have fry – except this “escaped” young male I reported about earlier).
    It’s unbelievable – this is a 12-liter-tank, closely observed by me each day. I hopefully look for fry with a torch/flashlght from time to time – I have never seen any. And now this young fish – which is at least two months old, rather three. NEVER noticed before!!!

Taking the observations of the young male fry I reported about – which was not to be seen most of the time, too – I now have the impression that nagyi-fry are extremely secret and hidden. Is this only subjective – are especially my nagyi fry that shy? Or has anyone else observed such behaviour before?
    By now (after a bit of practice 😉 ) I have a really good eye for young fry, I detected all fry of my paro and Betta species at a very young age, nearly invisible. But here – seeing a fry first when it is longer than one centimeter? Still can’t believe it…………..

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

😆 this is just so familiar to read, Stefanie, – yes, this has happened to me too.
    And more than once. I remember in particular a p.harveyi that I discovered and thought how could I miss it, it seemed nearly adult :blink:
    I dont think its particularly nagyi’ish, I think its just paro-fry 🙂
    But this is also the couple which you expected were bad at eating own fry ?? So again this little fish must be glad he/she was able to escape not only yours, but also his mothers eyes, – well done, little fish !

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.