The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

P. nagyi “Pekan Nenasi”

Home Forums Global Pictures P. nagyi “Pekan Nenasi”

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Davy Grenouillet
    Participant

Nice pics Stefanie!

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”helene” post=3188]
    But this is also the couple which you expected were bad at eating own fry ?? So again this little fish must be glad he/she was able to escape not only yours, but also his mothers eyes, – well done, little fish ![/quote]

Yes, this is another “survivor” – I don’t know which was the greater danger – his/her father or mother ………??
    But now I dare to hope that there might be not only this one – overlooking one fry for about three months might also be overlooking more fry …….

Just today I counted a group of my cf. rubrimontis fry of different sizes. I had always seen at least 4 young in this tank – today I could clearly distinguish 7 …………… How many are there actually?

Yes – you are right – it’s simply paro’s fry…………. 🙂

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

yes, and you can now count yourself as a member of the starry eyed paro-fry-spotters :blink: :blink: :woohoo: …
    I am looking hard into my parvulus tanks, but at the moment they do not seem to be breeding, – however, the other day I thought I would play the good guy and unite a single male with a single female …. no way, – it showed up there was another male (obviously always hanging out in his cave) .. and my god, they took a little fight. Unfortunately my camera was without battery, so I couldnt take photos, but it was really interesting to see two big mature parvulus males seriously fighting (not just showing off).
    I of course took out the new male again, and found him another single lady with whom he is now having quite a good time I think. I might hope for more fry of this wonderful species then.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

maybe even :unsure: :dry: :silly: :blink: :S …. :woohoo:

Davy Grenouillet
    Participant

Today I saw tweediei fighting between my 2 males. Fantastic for my eyes!

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”helene” post=3192]maybe even :unsure: :dry: :silly: :blink: :S …. :woohoo:[/quote]

Yes – that’s definitely what happened when I spotted the “questionable fry” ……

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Good morning to everyone!

Some news from my nagyi-pair:

As reported before, I keep my “old” nagyi-pair in a 25 l tank which is divided in two halves by an acrylic glass pane slid in vertically. Like this:

The barrier is not sealed, the pane is only slid in two vertical guide rails glued to the front and back pane of the tank. There still are small slits of max. 3 millimetres, and the two parts of the tank thus share the same water.

As I reported before it’s difficult to get offspring of this pair – eggs or fry appear to be eaten by their own parents. I only got two young “by accident” – I already told about it in the past.
    Now I can report my third young of this pair ……….. discovered this morning in the empty half of the tank beside the part which is inhabited by the parent nagyi-pair. That’s him or her:

It’s grown this “big” without being fed intentionally. This half of the tank is not inhabited, I don’t put any food in this part, but small food like artemia nauplia is able to cross the borders. As was obviously this fry when being not bigger than some millimetres …….

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

I discovered a second fry in the “empty” half of the tank today. Definitely aiming to becoming a male:

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

I put some more pictures here to answer Ekonas question from this thread.

These photos all show the same male:

Two pictures taken at the same day with the same camera:

Same fish, about one year later:

Another month later, still the same fish:

And it is the fish shown in my avatar!

I once thought there might be a difference in colouration depending on the age of the fish – but I now think it is a matter of light. It’s a characteristic of these structural colours – contrary to pigment colours – that they never seem the same under different light incidence.

David Jones
    Participant

Thank you, Stefanie. Very nice photos and fish! Thanks for posting here – this male appears to be fairly similarly colored to the male I have and the photos give me a better idea of how they are colored. But as you say the structural based colors are constantly changing due to light angles and the like. In any case, very nice fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.