The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

P. Ornaticauda in Holland

Home Forums European Trade P. Ornaticauda in Holland

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stefaan
    Participant

Hello,

I’m new to this forum, and searching for at least two pairs of Parosphromenus Deissneri.
    P. sp. blue line might be a good alternative.

During my search, I found out that the Dutch company Ruinemans offers P. Ornaticauda.

I hope this information might help others.

Best regards,
    S.

bartian
    Participant

Welcome to the project!

Ruinemans occasionally has P. ornaticauda. Previously they used to import other forms as well, but since most species are hard to keep good in such conditions they stopped doing this. Only P. ornaticauda seems to do well.

If you want P. deissneri you better buy a ticket to Bangka, an island off Sumatra. This is the only known place you can get them. There is only one pair we know of, which seems hard to breed.

Utaka in Amersfoort has a bintan-variant at the moment. In this topic I put some pics of them.

P. sp. “blue line” isn’t exactly a species. It is just a name traders give their paros with blue fins, regardless of species. Fish bought as “blue line” mostly are bintan-variants. The bintan-complex consists of a few forms of which taxonomical status isn’t clear yet. Since most of them are rare in the hobby you could consider getting some if you can. You never know which variant you get, though.

But why do you want Parosphromenus?

Stefaan
    Participant

Thank you for the clarifying response, Bartian.

The question why someone might want Parosphromenus is worth a new topic. There are numerous kinds of wonderful and interesting fish …, as there are for ex. Sphaerichthys osphromenoides. Having a small group of chocolate gourami’s, I thought the Licorice Gourami would perfectly suit as company.

Gathering details on different sites and forums, I finally abandoned that idea. The Parosphromenus-project made me understand that these species are rare and threatened.

While reading, my enthusiasm has been growing spontaneously. Still having another, well installed tank, I’ve decided to keep Licorice gourami’s isolated, perhaps only with some schrimps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.