The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

P. parvulus

Home Forums Global Pictures P. parvulus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Just to celebrate that I finally am able to take good photoes of my favorite fish, I am going to show you a few of the best ones of P. parvulus.
    I am still learning about the camera, – which settings and so on. And then I am learning or trying to learn how to clean the front glass good enough, – it is still not good enough at all.

But here a few from tonight of the male

a few very young fry

and the female

Ted L. Dutcher
    Participant

Very nice… your getting it!

Bill Little
    Participant

Helene — some great shots with your new camera. I take it your water does not have peat in it as your water does not appear to be brown. My water is so dark the photos are very difficult to see the colors.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I do have peat – but are you sure its not because of the camera ? Some of my photoes are really dark – but its to do with how I set the camera 🙂
    Of course in some tanks I might have just set up a new one which then is much clearer, such as the small fry tank, its very newly set up.

But heres a ‘brown’ picture 🙂 .. of a nagyi male chasing a dafnia

Ted L. Dutcher
    Participant

So Helene, maybe I missed it somewhere but what camera did you get??

Bill Little
    Participant

Helene — I will checkout the camera, you may be right. However, it may be the operator 😉 Ted I think she is using a Canon

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Its a Canon 600d dsl and with an external flash and macro lens.

I might start a photo-thread 🙂 ..

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”helene” post=2073]Its a Canon 600d dsl and with an external flash and macro lens.

I might start a photo-thread 🙂 ..[/quote]

Yes – please!! You know how important and helpful I think photos to be – and we still have far too little photos of all species! It’s great that you posted photos of young and females, too – we all know that most pictures you find on the web show males in nuptial dress. Or, if not, are often labelled incorrectly.
    I know the problem with the water (and the dirty glass :sick: ) too – I get the best photos on the weekends – when I regularly change water and clean all panes, inside and out.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Helene, I am an admirer of your new photos, too!

And it surely is a task of some importance to photograph females and young growing fish. Of course, the females of many bintan-variants differ only slightly, but to compare the females of prnaticauda, parvulus, filamentosus, nagyi, harveyi, allani, opallios, deissneri, tweeidiei or phoenicurus and even of some non-described forms as spec. Ampah or spec. Sungai Stunggang maybe highly informative. In fact, we surely must supply some colour features into some of the descriptions, but that should be assisted by good photos of females.

Another interesting question is: At what age could one distinguish sex in growing young? THis should be assited by good photos, too.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=2075]
    Another interesting question is: At what age could one distinguish sex in growing young? THis should be assited by good photos, too.[/quote]

I agree expressly!!!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Thank you all, –
    Regarding determining sex … I am curios regarding the photoes of the young parvulus fry. It is quite obvious that these fry has small red dots in the dorsal and pelvic fin – but if these show up in both males and females ? I wonder.

You can see what I mean at the photo earlier in this thread.

Another fun image I took today – of two very very young P. nagyi ‘cherating’ (from my 60 liter with 12 fish) (they obviously spawned :))

At least here its kind of obviouos that quarelling about space starts quite early

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”helene” post=2077]
    At least here its kind of obviouos that quarelling about space starts quite early[/quote]

….. and colouration,too!! These are two males, aren’t they? And how big are they? 1 cm?

Great photo!!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

They are under 1 cm – very small. And no, I really dont think you can tell whether they are male or female, – I am not sure, but I think most fry look ‘malish’ when in this size. But with a camera like this it may be possible to actually try to document this along the way.
    In this big tank I will not be able to see how they grow up but maybe in another tank.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”helene” post=2082]They are under 1 cm – very small. And no, I really dont think you can tell whether they are male or female, – I am not sure, but I think most fry look ‘malish’ when in this size. [/quote]

So they really all have this iridescent colours in dorsal and anal fin – and lose them again later, if they are (or become?) females? When does the gender differentiate? As I understand, the gender of fish is not determinated at the moment of fertilization, but later, after hatching? When are the sexes fixed?

Can you estimate the approximate age of the fry at this stage?

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I am not sure, – but yes, I think all fry has these iridescent colours very early on … but you know, its hard to tell with these small fish, if its the same you see each time.
    From now on I will try harder to keep an eye on them from the beginning ..

And the age is a guess really, – they are not one cm, – so … they could be 3 weeks, maybe 4, taking into consideration that they are so tiny just after hatching .. but then again, I dont know if they can grow to this size in two weeks ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.