The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

P. tweediei and alfredi – update Dec. 2014

Home Forums Asian Habitats P. tweediei and alfredi – update Dec. 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Peter Beyer
    Participant

I have – for the fith time (I think) recently visited the habitats of P. tweediei and P. alfredi during a short 1.5 days visit.
    The situation of P. tweediei remains all the same, with its ups and downs that largely depend on water levels. One of the sites (Pekan Nenas) was dry three weeks bevor I came, as locals told me. Consequently, there were only few, but among these, there were several juveniles. I would think that there will be plenty again, in a few weeks. The site known as Sri Burinan showed the same picture. There were no aquatic plants in these ditches indicating preceding drought. Moving higher up the road (I never went this far before), the ditches became more narrow and water plants (mainly Limnophylla) were abundant. Here, P. tweediei were also abundant. I appears that from such areas the repopulation of the larger downstream ditches occurs.

The situation was much more devastating at the P. alfredi site known as “Sedili”. The dirt road that goes to this habitat was most frequently used by large trucks maybe one every three minutes, transporting sand. In the past, they were met only occasionally. Moreover, the site was massively disturbed by large sand depositions and the construction of dams which isolate the forest from the stream turning the latter into a canal. The forest was also cut down at its edges. I could not find a single P. alfredi although two people fished desperately for maybe three hours. I am not saying that the fish have become extinct at this site, because the water level was also really high. I have not been able to find the species in the past at high water levels, or only very few, while there were plenty in the adjacent forest when the water level was low. However, the quite massive changes that have occurred, especially the separation of the forest from the stream leaves me with quite a pessimistic feeling.
    It would really be necessary to check again in a few months (Jit :)). I will also check again when my journeys get me through Singapore or Malaysia and time permits.

Rod Porteous
    Participant

Great report. I have heard of the sedili site being cited as locale for P. Alfredi, but curious as to how far the site extends? Looking on google maps the sedili watershed area is vast, so there is an awful lot of ground to cover to get an accurate status of this species.
    Would be interesting to viisit site as water level drops, when would you recommend visiting?

Peter Finke
    Participant

The Sedili site is nearly the only site which remained for P. alfredi from several small sites formerly, most of them were situated at the old road from Mawai to Desaru in the Johore province of Kota Tinggi. Google maps show a momentum some years ago when there was very high water indeed; that had changed some weeks after already. The actual site visited by Prof. Beyer was a rather small area not to be identified properly by that outdated map.

The changing water-level may have heavy effects on the fish populations, good and bad. Beyer who was over there not for the first time will surely visit the site at his next opportunity, and there maybe a changed situation as P. alfredi is regarded. Either to the better or to the worse. But according to his report the later is most likely. Obviously, heavy building is going on over there presently, and the connections to the small remaining isles of former rainforest with the former peat swamps is obviously blocked on many places. This does not leave much hopes.

But we have Asian members living in Singapore or nearby. Please, look and tell us the present situation!

Fundamentally, it is advisable to go for fishing at low-water times. In high waters you are rarely lucky to find what you are searching for. Again: Our local friends, please tell us how things develop and the remaining formemost alfredi-site can be located properly again!

We know the coordinates of of two small sites: 1) 01° 51′ 23 N, 104° 03′ 54 E, and 2) 01° 50′ 02 N, 104° 04′ 26 E.

Pank Jit Sin
    Participant

Looking forward to your next visit here, too, Peter! You know what to bring. 😉
    In return, you will get durian.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Jit, I don’t understand you. What do you mean with “In return, you will get durian”?
    Who or what is “durian”?

Peter Beyer
    Participant

Peter – thats a Joke! Durian is a fruit – actually quite a good one when you succeed in passing it past your nose. It stinks galactically! What Jit wants from me most of all is M. kretseri. I´ll get a Durian in exchange. Well-I have to give this deal a hard thought.

Pank Jit Sin
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion, Peter Finke..
    Peter Beyer, did you get any pictures of the area in Sedili?

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I tried to eat durian once and I have to admit that it is for brave people only :cheer:

Lawrence Kent
    Participant

I was blessed by the opportunity to accompany Peter Beyer on this December flash expedition to Pekan Nenas, Sri Burinan, and Sedili. He is an intrepid friend of Parosphromenus! One of the pairs we collected (“Sri Burinan”) has started to produce some fry in a ten gallon tank in my home in Seattle. I joined the Parosphromenus project a couple of days ago. Helene has been providing me advice.

Lawrence Kent
    Participant

Jit, I took a few photos there with PB. If Peter can’t supply, let me know how I should send them to you or post them. I’ll let you know where to send the durian in exchange.
    Lawrence

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

You are very welcome here in the forum, Lawrence. Its a pleasure to have someone here who has been travelling in those areas, – and as we already spoke about, very interesting with the fish you brought back with you.
    I have uploaded the photo of the p.tweediei in the species article of P.tweediei.

Pank Jit Sin
    Participant

That’s great news. We really need more people to be interested in these frail beauties. My email address is pjsalpha@gmail.com. Would greatly appreciate those pictures.
    Durian is currently off-season, you’re safe… for now… 🙂

Lawrence Kent
    Participant

Attached are photos I took of the site Peter calls Sri Burinan where we found P. tweediei in December 2014 (last month). also a photo of one tweediei shortly after collection and one of a betta pulchra shortly after collection at this site.

Lawrence Kent
    Participant

Here are photos I took at the site Peter calls Sedili in December. As Peter reported, we found no paros here. Mostly we found Tripchopsis vittatus here and Anabas testudineus, etc. (lame photos in photo tank back at hotel)

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Thank you so much, – it is really interesting to see photos from the areas. Can I use the photos for uploading somewhere at the homepage (probably at the species articles ) ??

Its sad about the Sedili area, – but I understand it could be because of the water level and hopefully it could change.
    Nice to also see the tricopsis vittatus, – I have a big 325 liters with a mixed asian population, among these some tricopsis vittatus, – they are even breeding in there, which is quite well done. I guess they scare everyone with their little noises 🙂 ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.