The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

P. Tweediei (?) in Holland

Home Forums European Trade P. Tweediei (?) in Holland

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Armin Schäfer
    Participant

I ordered them 2 month ago and they are from a exporter in Singapore.

@Bartian
    , The catchers never tell the trad. were they catch their fish.

Peter I will send you and Martin Hallmann each two pairs to define the species.

Best regards,
    Armin

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

So .. p. tweediei is now on the list of my normal fish shop, for sale – and I will go tomorrow and have a look (if good I will aquire some I am sure)
    Just called them, they have about 20, but the price :woohoo: …. not cheap at all

Report will follow tomorrow.

Jennifer Kronenberg
    Participant

Hope you got the real one over there! Looking forward to your report. 🙂

The ones I bought labeled as P. tweediei over here weren’t too bad, $8 USD each.

Stefaan
    Participant

I’m glad to see that Armin has posted a picture shortly after I had requested him to reserve one couple for me. I will only have the chance to visit him in about ten days.

I still do hope they’ll turn out to be tweediei as well, and look forward to your report Helene

Bill Little
    Participant

The P. Tweediei here were being sold at $10 each and when I examined the tank there were none remaining just what was reported as P. Nagyi also at $10 ea

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

6 p. (hopefully) tweediei now settled in my tank. They seem to already feel fine, and are showing lots of colours. I am really curios as to how the sex ratio is, but I think it is not too bad.
    I put in two caves straight away in order to seperate out the stronger males and also create some ‘safe’ places for them, – these are being tjecked out very carefully.
    There are at least two bigger males, – one has as far as I can see some damage to the dorsal fin, but the other one seems fine. I dont know what has happened, but hope its a damage, not some other problem.

Here are some of the first photoes.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

females I hope 🙂

and the last image 🙂 … of the first peak into the new world

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

quite of this particular topic, but I thought today that these fish have incredibly big eyes. But looking at my other fish I guess they do have that, – but in particular the young ones. That made me think if eyesize (relative to bodysize) could say something about it being a ‘younger fish’ 🙂

Bill Little
    Participant

Great pictures !! Even I, who has never seen a Tweediei for real, could have identified that male in the local LFS. A couple of questions … did that male have that coloring in the shop or did the color come back once you had him in your tank and he was comfortable? Second, I think Peter has commented that Tweediei has not been available in the trade or at least not been available in the trade in recent years. Do you know if these fish came from the distributor in Holland or perhaps from another hobbyist? If they came from the distributor then perhaps some of the stock that arrived here in the U.S.several weeks ago were indeed Tweediei. The one case we were able to examine via photos turned out to be a wild betta. Perhaps that was an isolated mistake. We need to keep watch in the coming weeks for another shipment.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Bill, they come through Ruinemans in Holland, yes. In the shop they were a bit paler, and not so colourful, but it was still possible to f.instance determine that they had red in the tail. And as far as I can tell my good fish-pusher 🙂 was also able to determine male and female.
    But it is a good shop, and they do know how to take care of the fish, so usually the paroes look better here than in most other shops.
    But the dark colouration did not come before after they had been released from the bag. It came quickly though which is a good sign to me that they are not overly stressed fish which has gone through many days of bad journey. And that they are probably quite healthy

Peter Finke
    Participant

Bill is right in saying that I reported that tweediei was not in trade so far in recent years (since the species was firmly determined/described by Kottelat and Ng in 2005). Kottelat thinks that it was traded before; in fact he stated that it was the most traded Parosphromenus in the eighties and nineties when all were called “deissneri” and we all thought that to be a correct determination. I doubt that. The fish that I saw in 1975 at Dr. Foersch’s home in Munich (and subsequently recieved from him) were similar but probably not identical with the later tweediei. They resembled waht we later called P. spec. Kota Tinggi. Martin Hallmann and I discuss that question in our forthcoming book on “Prachtguramis” (“Which spieces was investigated and bred by Foersch?”). But those fish were private imports by Dietrich Schaller (“Trichopsis schalleri”).
    Nevertheless there were private imports of the true (later) tweediei in the nineties; the famous picture by Günter Kopic is the proof. At that time we called them P. spec. Pontian. It is possible that there were commercial imports of that species at that time, too. But this is a presumption; we don’t know it for sure. Undoubtedly, the fish described in 2005 as tweediei was not traded commercially in recent years since 2000.

But there is always a first. Armin was right, these fish are the true tweediei. There is evidence of one of the best experts we have on that species, biologist Prof. Dr. Peter Beyer from Freiburg university in Germany who caught them several times himself in Western Malaysia and now saw them in Freiburg per shops in recent weeks (information by Martin Hallmann). The Dutch wholesaler Ruinemans is one of the big companies which deliver fish to many countries, and so Helene could find them in Kopenhagen, too. Therefore it is quite possible that there was an import to the U.S., too. This is possible because it is a typical scheme that there are many half-grown fish been caught and traded several months after a breeding session.

As Helene’s pictures show there are considerable parts of blue in the red dorsal and anal fins of the males. This is typical: Beyer, at different times in different years found tweediei in their original habitat “orderly” red, and at other occasions nearly all individuals were nearly completely blue! Sometimes, the colours were mixed (as they are here). He supposes this to be a question of their diets, but the thing is not yet completely clear.

Anyway, we have tweediei now in trade, and Armin is to be praised that he told us this news. Maybe, the information from the U.S. was true also, but the fish seem to be sold out. Or is there anybody who bought them and could tell us: tweediei or not?

Jennifer Kronenberg
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=2464]
    Anyway, we have tweediei now in trade, and Armin is to be praised that he told us this news. Maybe, the information from the U.S. was true also, but the fish seem to be sold out. Or is there anybody who bought them and could tell us: tweediei or not?[/quote]

I had purchased them, but of course mine turned out to be what we think is Betta imbellis. I found someone else through Facebook who got some as well, this weekend I plan to see them and see if they got Betta’s too. It sounds like they did get bettas though, so not too hopeful.

Stefaan
    Participant

[quote=”bartian” post=2397]I ordered some through my LFS though, so they should appear at Utaka in Amersfoort in a few weeks, when Ruinemans’ summer break ends.
    Since P. tweediei‘s geographical distribution is fairly limited, it could as well be harveyi or [/i]alfredi[/i], which would’nt be bad either.

They have P. linkei too. Quite big already and in very good condition.[/quote]

@Bartian
    :
    Utaka in Amersfoort still doesn’t offer any P. tweediei. They do have P. linkei , and also P. cf. alfredi (both wild-caught) on their stocklist. Their video of these P. cf. alfredi was published shortley after Ruinemans’ summer break.

Is there any chance that someone who buys a couple of P. tweediei in Betta’s Pride, and a pair of P. alfredi in Utaka ends up with 4 paro’s of one single and identical species, originally imported and distributed as tweediei by Ruinemans?

Peter Finke
    Participant

Armin Schaefer sent me 8 P. tweedei that were imported by Ruinemans to Holland.

They really are the correctly determined tweediei. In the meantime they appeared in some shops in German towns, too.

The posting to Germany took one day only, but the subsequent posting of the parcel to me took another three days. Nevertheless, the animals were alive and completely sound. But Armin packed them in a very experienced way: in a small styropor-box, each in a separate small amount of water. Very small indeed (not much more than 100 ml), with a leave to hide. This small amount of room and water is fully sufficient for one individual in good condition.

bartian
    Participant

@Steff
    These are the same fish, from the same Ruinemans shipment. I looked at them when they arrived, and because of the amount of blue in the fins, I told them it could be alfredi. They now offer them as such. It will probably be switched to tweediei soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.