The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Paros Are available in the USA

Home Forums American Trade Paros Are available in the USA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bill Little
    Participant

It has been several months now since I made distribution of some 100 copies of Dr. Finke’s little green booklet describing all of the Parosphromenus species. A booklet, I would encourage all of you to add to your library if you plan to keep and breed any of the Parosphromenus species. Distribution was made under the leadership of the American Labyrinth Fish Association (ALFA). It was the first task of significance for this newly created national tropical fish organization. Since the completion of the distribution of this booklet we have received numerous responses thanking us for undertaking this project. However, accompanying the complements there was one reoccurring question that was repeated over and over “I would really like to have some of these fish but I am unable to find them in LFS or on the internet.”

Back in the early spring I had discussed this very issue with Steve Lundblad, a seasoned veteran of the aquarium industry for over two decades and nationally known fish importer, and Anthony Perry the sales manager for his retail internet operation. They both indicated they had been importing limited numbers of these species and they would continue to do so. As demand and availability increased they would attempt to broaden the offering of the “Paro” species. Over the past couple of months I have ordered limited numbers of these fish from Anthony at WetSpot in Portland, OR. Living in Florida you can’t get much farther away from Portland. I am pleased to report that all shipments have arrived in excellent condition using the United States Postal Service and without losing a single fish.

Every Friday Anthony publishes a little newsletter along with a list (http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish) to their extensive buyers list. It is updated every Friday morning and in examining the list a few minutes ago there are five Paro species available for purchase this week – P. filamentosa, P. opallios, P. linkei, P. parvulus and P. sp. “Sentang”. So, for those of you that would like to have some of these beautiful Licorice Gouramis in your fishroom they are available for purchase right here in the USA! Give Anthony a call and tell him I sent you …

Peter Finke
    Participant

Bill, that’s very good news indeed!

I recommend to all who read this: Take this opportunity and get some of thesewonderful fishes. But mind: Especially P. opallios, parvulus and even spec. Sentang are no fish for the unexperienced. These species demand the full Parosphromenus-program. They are no fish for the normal community tank where they will simply “disappear” if accompagnied by fish which are much more agile and dominant. And they definitely need demineralized water with low pH (4-6), otherwise they will get ill by Oodinium.

Less demanding are filamentosus and linkei. I strongly recommend to all who would like to try their first Parosphromenus to take one of these two species. They are wonderful, not difficult and will delight you. Take no less than 4 to 6 individuals; in both cases the sexes are easily determined by the long filaments of the male caudal fins.

Both species can develop to brilliant small fish, and both are relatively easy to spawn. If you take such a group you should pobserve them some weks in a small tank with no companions or some Boraras spec. only. Use very soft water with a pH below 7.0. Put some very small caves in it. Then you will see the spectacular beginning courtship behaviour.

And if you see it, you should separate that pair to a very small new tank filled with pure rainwater or osmosis water. Add a Catappa leave at the back glass and 10-20 oak leaves on the ground. The pH must be definitely below 7.0, somehow between 4.5 and 6.5 in order to mnimize the germ development.
    Additionally, you must start some food-cultures; I recommend Artemia and (for the very young) Paramecium or vinegar eels.
    Use much Java moss and Ceratopteris at the top swimming.

More experienced aquarists should defiitely have a try with the first three species. You never knwo whether you will have the opportunity ever again. But mind: P. parvulus is really tiny. It must have a small (!) tank for its own. Then you will see that spectacular courtship behavior, with that zig-zag-dance which is as speedy that you will not able to follow with your eyes.

For the beginner pure rainwater is a good alternative. If you can raise Artemia naupliae from the cysts then you have a good food, at least as basis. Additionally you can feed small (!) mosquito larvae that can be easily produced in containers (Buckets etc.) in the garden.
    Don’t hesitate! Take the opportunity! These are heavily endangered fish. Maybe, you will see them not for long a time.

Jennifer Kronenberg
    Participant

I would love to try more Paros. My 6 that are actually Paro’s are still doing well, eating and just being fish.

I’ve had that Wetspot list up on my computer for at least a week now mulling over adding more. I think I must be doing something right as they are all still alive and eating a month later, and yet I’m nervous to add more in case these 6 are just alive because of luck and nothing else.

I hate to miss out on these and have them not available, but I also am afraid of obtaining them and killing them with inexperience. Indecision!

Peter Finke
    Participant

Jennifer, don’t hesitate. Take filamentosus and/or linkei. Both species are the hardiest of all Parosphromenus, they are quite different than those you have and will make no troubles if they are not ill at the beginning. But that is a risk of all ornamental fish.
    Good luck! Try it!

Bill Little
    Participant

Jennifer – I took the plunge last week and ordered 6 of the Linkei from Wetspot. I had them shipped 2nd day and they arrived in great shape. They were small and of course went directly to the bottom of their new home and into hiding. It took them 24 hours for them to begin eating. It’s been a week now and they are beginning to come out of hiding but I must be careful approaching the tank. I do see them looking through the glass to the adjoining tank that holds other Paros. I look forward to seeing them grow.

john walsh
    Participant

Hi Jennifer – If your existing fish are feeding well and showing no signs of stress (clamped fins, consistantly faded colouring, etc)then you should have the confidence to take advantage of this opportunity to purchase more fish (assuming of course that you can maintain them in seperate tanks and your water is at the appropriate perameters). I would repeat the method you used to mature/age your current set up and be careful not to over feed as usual. I find that a few snails and Red Cherry Shrimp make a good clean up crew in my set up. It is not often you get the chance to purchase a range of Paros, and Bill Little’s feedback suggests the stock are in good condition and the shipping arrangements are relatively safe. If I was a Paro, I would chose to take my chances with someone like you who is trying to meet known requirements with a view to breeding, than be sold to a generalist fishkeeper oblivious to the Project and the guidance contained therein. Go for it! Whatever happens you are bound to gain invaluable experience from your best efforts. Good Luck!

Jennifer Kronenberg
    Participant

I will go ahead and set up a few aquariums then, I think I still have two empty 10 gallon aquariums and a 20 gallon tall. When the tanks are ready I’ll go ahead and order.

Hopefully they will be ready soon, but it seems to be really slow going prepping a tank with low ph. It was 4 weeks for ammonia to finally be out of the tank I set up for the bettas. My higher ph tanks are ready much more quickly.

Jennifer Kronenberg
    Participant

Just thought I would let everyone know that Wetspot just added Parosphromenus nagyi to the list though now they seem to be out of filamentosa.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.