The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Paros. Sp. “Ampah”

Home Forums European Pictures Paros. Sp. “Ampah”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ray Caruana
    Participant

Hi all,

This is a picture of a male which I imported from Glaser earlier in December. They were listed as P.filamentosus, but Peter was quite sure that they are the species from Ampah, a town in Kalimantan Tengah (Borneo). I’m posting the photo for your reference and will re-post as soon as he matures for a better assessment.

Ted L. Dutcher
    Participant

Thank you very much! and please keep the pictures coming. I recently got 6 Filamentosus and am beginning to question the possibility of them being “Ampah”. They are still young and approx 1.25 inches so I must wait til mating behaviour to know for sure.

Ryan P
    Participant

Ray,

Yours do look like “Ampah.

Notice below my pictures. I have had it since mid-December. Notice the filament has grown out nicely; when I got them, the caudal fin looked very much like yours–cut or damaged.

I have one female, she has a rounded caudal, but also the filament grows out of her caudal as well. I didn’t take any pictures of her.

Ray Caruana
    Participant

Yes RMP, my male have since taking the photo has also grown the filament but was waiting to take pictures first to be sure before mentioning it here. I was waiting for them to fully mature and then re-attempt identification. Thanks a lot for the photos. I will try to find some time an take some recent photos soon and then compare.

Ray Caruana
    Participant

Hi all.
    I took some photos of the male and female this afternoon. Like RMP I had them since December and like RMP’s fish, mine have also grown their tail extensions. What do you think please? Are they AMPAH or filamentosus?

The female’s tail extension…

One last question please. Is it common for Paros that the male chases the female in a somewhat aggressive way? Especially at feeding time.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hello RayCaruana

I cannot help you with the question regarding the excact species that you have, I am sure other will be able to.
    But to your last question regarding the male behaviour to the female, – Yes, its quite normal behaviour for the male to be somewhat agressive – or I would maybe not call it agressive – but pushing, chasing, testing out the female somewhat. I think its part of the whole play towards getting ready for spawning, – at times, if the female is not ready, it may seem a bit hard, the male may seem a bit hard to her, but its never too much. And is probably part of the male activating the spawning reaction in the female.

Ray Caruana
    Participant

Like in other Anabantoids then. Thanks for your reply Helene.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Actually yes, – I was about to write that, – that even small, you do see similar behaviour with the licorice gouramies as in many labyrints, – and they are also territorial to some extend. They are small, so agression is seldom fatal, or really I have never experienced it, – but there are always dominant males and also dominant females.
    I just had four very young p.parvulus in one small tank together, two males and two females and noticed that they werent really feeling optimal, – some of them staying in the back of the tank, not coming to feed properly and so, looking a bit dull and grey. So I decided to seperate them into two pairs, – and it has taken one day, and the two males are now colouring up nicely, chasing each his female, very eagerly. When together they didnt seem to have the hieraky sorted out. They are very young, but this definitely helped them ‘grow up’ quicker.

Ryan P
    Participant

Ray, your fish have colored up or darkened more than mine.. What are the parameters of your water and ph, temperature? Did you lose any? I lost a few in the beginning.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Ray, your fish are most likely not spec. Ampah. The male you show us is too colourful; the reddish tone in the caudal is typical for filamentosus. The spec. Ampah looks somewhat like “black and white” with some brown bands in the dorsal and anal. And the black bands are rather clearly marked. Some have extended filaments, too, others not. All females of filamentosus have smaller filaments than the males, but they have.

The relationship of Ampah to filamentosus is clearly to be seen. The only question is: Is Ampah a separate species or is it a less colourful form of filamentosus? The classical location of filamentosus is about 200 km south, but it is most likely to extend far more north.

Ray Caruana
    Participant

[quote=”RMP” post=1745]Ray, your fish have colored up or darkened more than mine.. What are the parameters of your water and ph, temperature? Did you lose any? I lost a few in the beginning.[/quote]

Hi RMP,
    Sorry for the late reply.

My water parameters are pH of 5.5, GH almost zero and temperature 26. They ave no substrate but Katappa leaves cover the bottom. To answer your second question, no I haven’t lost any. They were excellently packed by Glaser. I took them home and acclimatized them by drip immediately after arrival from the airport. They are fed several times daily with live enriched Artemia, moina and cyclops.

Peter Finke
    Participant

Darkening (in the male) ist mostly a matter of temper. My main filamentosus male becomes nearly black all over if he is really in spawning mood. In between he will become much lighter again.

In spec. Ampah we normally see no red at all. If the caudal contains red or reddish brown and there are marked reddish parts in the anal and dorsal it’s more likely filamentosus. The females become very light (as other licorice) in spawning mood. With spec. Ampah, there are nearly always very marked and rather broad black bands to be seen in the unpaired fins, even in the females.

I do not think that the “darkening” of Ray’s fish is a matter of the water parameters (but I would not exclude that). It’s more likely that it is a matter of temper and mood, and that means: it is a transitory phenomenon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.