The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Parosphromenus pahuensis

Home Forums Global Breeding Parosphromenus pahuensis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Marshall
    Participant

Hi
    just had a couple of spawnings over the last week and possibly more.from my pair of P pahuensis..They are very secretive and they seem to prefer to use a java fern leaf to spawn under rather than film canisters or coconut caves. any observations from members welcome.

regards

Kevin

Peter Finke
    Participant

I can agree, my P. pahuensis are rather secretive, too. Just similar to P. sumatranus. They always were the most secretive and shy licorice gouramis in my tanks.
    But the pahuensis used always a small cave made from clay. Well: always? Maybe they spawned behind plant leaves, too, but I haven’t got notice about that.
    Are there other experiences? Can anyone tell the same?

Kevin Marshall
    Participant

Hi my fish continued to spawn regularly up to about 20 days ago when the female died. A few days ago however I noticed a baby fish in the tank and then another I had thought about keeping the male with the fry but decided on removing him just to be on the safe side.. The fry are as expected very difficult to see… but seem to swim at all levels. One or two can usually be seen at the surface but this is where some of the food congregates feeding a mix of vinegar eels, micro worm and baby brine shrimp at the moment..

Peter Finke
    Participant

When I visited a university colleague some years ago he demonstrated his nice aquarium. Then he detected a new young fish. Some seconds later I detected a second. And then after some time we found a third and a fourth.
    And then my colleague said: I call this Finke’s rule. If there is one, you must thorough investigate and you will find a second, and after some time a third and so on.
    Therefore Kevin, there’s a good chance for some more … That rule is quite reliable, especially with young licorice gouramis …:)

Kevin Marshall
    Participant

I cant agree more Peter we are still counting and they are becoming easier to see (I think) as they become larger and bolder. From experience I know that even when grown on to sub adult size You can be pleasantly suprised with the final numbers. Still I will be happy with getting a 1 or 2 pairs..At the moment I cannot see getting enough to pass on but who knows?

Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

Hello,

I received one young pair of P. pahuensis four weeks ago from a member of the Paroproject. They swim in a 45l aquarium and I think it is the right size for this active species. Now I saw first fry hiding under the surface in floating plants. I hope the parents will not eat all of them…

I love this species, they are more avtive than P. bintan and they show a more complex mating behavior with a lot of pair swimming. (I like bintan too, of course 🙂 )

Greetings
    Patrick

Peter Finke
    Participant

Patrick, you are lucky. In fact, we have quite a few members who have some flocks of young pahuensis swimming at present. That was completely different in 2008. At that time pahuensis was the only species of our genus that was completely non-existent in Europe. I knew that only some months ago the friends of the “Team Borneo” from Japan had managed to catch some specimen in Kalimantan Timur and brought them to Japan. (One should know: Most travellers to Kalimantan travel to K. Tengah or K. Barat, but only very few to K. Timur. P. pahuensis is the most easterly occuring species of Parosphromenus).
    Then in June 2008 I gave a lecture on Parosphromenus in Berlin in front of members of the EAC (European Anabantoid Club), and after I had finished president Horst Linke handed a small package over to me as a reward. I was absolutely sure that fish were inside. Linke had been to Sumatra a short time ago and found that fine spec. Langgam, and so I hoped that he gave me my first ever Langgam. But I was wrong.
    He told me to open the wrapping and have a look in front of all people. What I saw produced the greatest astonishment for me since long: I saw a pair of pahuensis! And I said: “But this is impossible! I know that there are no pahuensis in all Europe since quite a number of years! There are only some in Japan since a few weeks time!”
    “Well”, Horst said, “now you have some. But it was rather difficult to get them here from Japan, I tell you tonight.” And he did. I don’t repeat that here, it’s too long a story. I was extremely pleased and excited, I never would have thought of such a suprise.
    And since then we have pahuensis here in Europe. And should not loose them again!!! So, be lucky and get them breed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.