The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Parosphromenus phoenicurus

Home Forums Global Species Parosphromenus phoenicurus

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Peter Finke
    Participant

This is one of the most frequently visited topics in our four forums. Of course, the joint Aquarium-Dietzenbach/my fish/and P-P-initiative is mirrored by this awareness.

But there are relatively few reports about progress/changes/difficulties in trying to breed the fish to be read here. A few successful breedings only, and all others too young?

It could be helpful for many if more people would report here, including observations of their own mistakes (every beginner makes mistakes, I sometimes do until today!), the changes of their care, of the behaviour of the growing fishes, the expected or unexpected difficulties in getting the fish to spawn and breed.

Please try to tell us what you see and learn, even if there is no final success to be proud of!.

Gonin herve
    Participant

I have 3 young pairs in a 20 liters tank ,the fish are very shy and I can watch them just when I feed them.I will separate them one pair by tank and see what’s going on.It seems we get better success on e pair per tank with Paros imo.

I have my 1.2 P. phoenicurus in these water parameter: EC 24 – 35 , pH 4,2 – 5.2, dKH <1, temperature 26°C, after water change 24°C. Tank size is 25x40x25cm.

Elder cones, beech leaves, catappa leaves, moorkien root, swimming plants, java moss, a bit substrate on the ground, some caves.
    Filter is a small rucksack filter.

I prepare the water with peat granules and a small osmosis plant.
    I feed generously, now in winter with naupliae, white mosquito larvaes, moina, micro worms, marine copepodes, water flea.
    I do my water changes every week, 50%.

I have now moved 21 young phoenicurus in a bigger tank (54l), similar set up as their parents tank. Just the filter is different, a HMF (foam filter and water bubbles).

There are still left at least 4 other juvenile in the parents tank, which I wasn't able to catch till now They are really very shy and champions in hiding.

My young linkei begin to behave like swarm fish 🙂 .

Perhaps I got my phoenicurus earlier than most of you, I already got them on 12th of september. I asked immediately some days after it was anounced here in the forum at aquarium dietzenbach, if they could send 1.2 animals to my aquaristic shop in Freiburg. And the tank was running since about three month that time, I planned to breed there caridina simoni, but the 10 animals vanished (to low pH I think). So the tank was ready for the phoenicurus to settle down...

Here some photos, if it works …

here two females:

here a couple:

are the young phoenicurus now developing to be a swarm fish ? 😉

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Wonderful, I is not been successful.
    Which water parameters they did it?

Arno Beißner
    Participant

Now with my phoenicurus something is happening too.
    The first eggs in a terra cotta tube.
    In the 45 l tank is peat as ground.
    EC = 10, PH = 5,5 – 6, Temperatur between 24-25 C.
    On the water swims a lot of lemna minor + utricularia.
    Hydra grows very well, too 🙁

@ Bernd: I have my 1.2 P. phoenicurus in these water parameter: EC 24 (after water change) – 35(before water change) , pH 4,2 – 5.2, dKH <1, temperature 26°C, after water change 24°C. Tank size is 25x40x25cm.
    pH mostly ca. 4,7,

@Arno
    : very fine! And you have found the eggs! Will you breed the larves outside the parents tank?

Arno Beißner
    Participant

Hello Dorothee,

the female leaves the tank the next days. The male leaves the tank at the day the larves swim free – if not go wrong.
    This system runs with quindecim very well. (ca.130 young at this time)
    Some problems i see with the many Hydra.
    Last week i saw one of boraras-brigittae larve in an other tank – inside a hydra 🙁
    Quindecim larves are to big for the hydra, i think – but phoenicurus larves ?

Hello Arno,
    Some time ago I had also hydra, I got some Flubenol from Bernd Bussler, I needed just a “Messerspitze” (a pinch) in each tank. My shrimps and my snails stayed o.k. ! (the fish of course too) and all Hydras vanished at once! Perhaps it could harm the eggs of your phoenicurus, but I guess that mine were also already breeding, when I used the Flubenol …

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

This is a problem that feed your fish get where the Hydra come from?
    I feed only themselves caught live food and have had in 20 years Paro breed 2x Hydra. :blush: :blush:

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I had it twice too over pretty much the same period :D, but somehow they ocure every time in the tank where you have the most important and valuable offspring :angry:

Peter Finke
    Participant

Different species of Hydra are efficiently killed by Flubenol, the small green ones for instance that sometimes appear when feeding is based on Artemia. Take a very small quantity (a tip of a knife) only, put it on the water surface, do nothing else and the Hydrae will contract in a few hours time and disappear completely within the next 24 hours. I never saw any negative effects on my fish and their offspring. I cannot, however, give a guarantee in respect to very small young. But if they are four weeks old it should be safe, especially if there is a water change of three quarters afterwards.

Arno Beißner
    Participant

Thank you for the Tip, Dorothee. I have still panacur in the refridgerator. It was for planaria. I think it works like flubenol. This i try.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.