The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Please identify what species of this paros.

Home Forums Global Species Please identify what species of this paros.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Najib Samsuri
    Participant

Hi all,

I just got this fish as replace of my order due to no stock,The Indonesian told me that he get this fish from Sumatra,
    i think maybe P. stangenasis..but not sure..anybody can clarify this sp?

Closed up the tails

Thanks,

Bill Little
    Participant

Is the last photo taken of the same fish in the first three photos? How many fish total in the group?

Peter Finke
    Participant

The question of Bill Little is fully justified. It looks like a mixture of different species/forms has happened, which is not rare in that Paro-business.
    The last photo shows a male Parosphromenus with a marked red area in his caudal fin; a bit like P. opallios.

But the main thing I have to say is: No expert of that genus has ever heard of a P. stangenasis. There is no fish scientifically described like this. This is a name composed like a scientific name, but it is no scientific name (just as in the case of “P. sintangensis”). Did you perhaps mean that form and did you get the name wrong? The correct way of naming it as long as there is no scientific description is P. spec. Sentang (as being from the area of the city of Sentang on Sumatra).

But your fish don’t look like typical Sentang, They look more like so-called P. spec. “blue-line” from the Sungai Tunkal-region on Sumatra. However, those two undescribed forms from Jambi on Sumatra (Sentang and “blue line”) have been mixed and interchanged often already; the trade business is very unreliable in this respect.

Unless your present more details and photos which show the fin characteristics much more clearly it is impossible to exactly determine these fish.

Najib Samsuri
    Participant

little

Yes, all pictures are same fish.

Peter Finke
    I have P. opallios in my collection..
    I try take a picture and compare with this sp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.