The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Possible reasons why eggs are not adhering?

Home Forums Global Species Possible reasons why eggs are not adhering?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john walsh
    Participant

Like Fredd, I also got some fish from ruinemanns very recently (described as anjunganensis…but most certainly not).
    I will try also to get some decent pictures for identification purposes…but that is not my most pressing concern. I split the group into 10L spawning tanks and film cannister caves. Oak leaves and alder cones in RO. The same water I am using in all my other tanks and I have recently had a successful spawning of Allani…so there is nothing wrong with my water parameters. Just to make sure I bought a new test kit today and both KH and GH are very low (<1). One of the pairs spawned yesterday morning but the eggs would not adhere to the top of the cave (which prompted me to doubt myself and buy the new testing kit!). Then when I came home from work today the other pair had spawned in a seperate tank and again the eggs are on the floor of the cave.
    Any ideas why this might be?
    Thanks,
    John

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Correct, usually the KH value is too high, under 5 KH should be however no problem. In caves they spawn, what material are the caves made of?
    Sometimes caves made of ceramics (flower pots) have a rough and porous surface and the eggs stick better if the water parameters are not “optimal”

john walsh
    Participant

Thanks Bernd. They are plastic cannisters. I will try a ceramic tube and hope that resolves the problem.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Wait for the water parameters, then you can still react. They spawn and they will continue to do so.
    Do you have many plants in the aquarium? Also this could be the cause, plants can also be a cause for too high KH value, among other for this reason I have no plants except a few Schwimmpflanzen in my aquariums.

Fredrik Engström
    Participant

Hello John!

Did you buy the P. cf Anjuganensis from ruinemans?

I recently got 10 of those and also 10 of the alfredi!

The Anjuganensis i got looks right, alfredi is p. Nagyi as it looks now

//Fredrik

john walsh
    Participant

Hi Fredrik,
    Yes. I took delivery of 12 of each (although one of cf anjunganensis had died in transit :-(). These are definately ‘mixed’ shipments. Included in those labelled ‘Anjunganensis’ is at least one bintan type male and none of the fish look like ‘anjunganensis’ to me (although I have never kept confirmed fish of that species), and even in the two pairs that had had the failed spawns I have not been able to see them display enough (because of the leaf litter)to offer a confident opinion. However, the red colouration in the unpaired fins is not a solid block and the blue/green irridescence is not confined to the fringes of those fins. They are beautiful fish whatever they are!
    The so called ‘alfredi’ look like your second photograph in the forum thread ‘Whats this?’. They are NOT Nagyi for me. I have kept and bred nagyi for some time and these fish are different. There may be one Nagyi male in the batch who has flushed dark on occasions but even he does not convinced me when compared to the Nagyi I know are true.
    It is so frustrating that shipments get mixed…but i will endevour to identify true pairs of whatever I have and if the offspring look like the parents I will be delighted.
    Best Wishes,
    John

Peter Finke
    Participant

We had rarely shipments of definitely mixed species (as it seems to be here). The problem are the females. As the males are concerned, waiting for some weeks mostly will reveal the species or at least to group (in case of bintan-like forms). But if there are indications that they sold a species-mix, we are hardly able to recognize the right females. We don’t know what the males are able to. Therefore, it is possible that hybrids have been already swimming in our tanks.

If you come across a mixed group, you must be very careful. By no means offspring of such fish should be traded any further. As I said, the problem are the females. Luckily, we rarely encountered mixed groups (and hence possibly mixed pairs) in fish from Ruinemans’ or Glaser’s. But in your case this might have happened. The mistake most probably was made in Asia already by the catchers who delivered their fish caught at different places to the exporters by putting several weak caughts together.

I should draw the conclusion that we must try to become better in discernng the adukt females of our Paros. There are differences, but less prominent than with the males. We need good photos of clearly determined females.

john walsh
    Participant

I completely agree with you Peter.I think the continued loss of habitat is limiting the size of the catches obtained by the local collectors, while the roads which service the palm oil plantations are making it easier for the collectors to search a wider area and come across more species.This is the second time in the past 12 months that I have encountered mixed shipments!
    Your idea of a quality photo bank of female fish is a good one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.