The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

rubrimontis on aquabid from malaysia

Home Forums Global Species rubrimontis on aquabid from malaysia

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jacob
    Participant
    Bill Little
    Participant

I saw the post a couple of days ago also. The photo is not of sufficient quality to make it possible to attempt an identification.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

But look good, very much like my rubrimontis I brought from Malaysia and might breed (Bukit Merah)

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

But am I understanding this right, – these fish are offered from Malaysia for sale and send all over the world ?

Bill Little
    Participant

That appears to be the case … he quotes shipping costs to the U.S. but it appears he is willing to ship anywhere. He offers no guarantees however and takes no responsibility for customs. Bringing in wild bettas to the U.S. we traditionally use a trans-shipper who handles the license and customs documents. It is an additional expense but all the paperwork is handled for the individual receiving the fish.

David Jones
    Participant

Well, it was actually I who ordered these fish offered through Aquabid. I knew it would be a risk, but in correspondence with the seller before buying, he said he collected the fish himself and showed photos of the fish swimming in his tanks at home – healthy and well cared for. He demonstrated a knowledge of paros, said he was keeping and breeding a few more species native to Malaysia and showed a keen interest in the proper care his fishes. He appeared to be honest, reasonable and straightforward. He assured the best of packing and with EMS shipping 3-5 days shipping time to USA – the same as a priority shipment within the US itself – many small delicate fishes can survive this no problem. Yet after making the buy, I had regrets about doing so, reading that rubrimonitis are rare and demanding to keep. I fully realized this was not a good move, but too late.

This fish shipped last Monday; with the July 4th holiday, the shipment took 7 days to arrive at my US post office – not too bad, no problem with Customs or the like – I had hope: I picked them up saving 24 hours time in transit. And, surprise when I opened the box – there were no fish in any of the bags!! Just bags, water – no fish, no sign of dead fish, nothing!

Most likely the seller did not send any fish?, and to my relief, I can say no fish were lost. I will accept the loss of money AND the lesson learned – I’ll never attempt the purchase of fish internationally without the use of a transhipper, as Bill has pointed out. However, even the use of a transhipper is not without problems, as I found out in a previous AB purchase of wild bettas from Indonesia via a US transhipper several years ago. Some transhippers are very reliable, in my experience, but those whom I have worked with successfully in the past will not handle paros, so I’m told, only larger bettas.

So – for US paro keepers it looks like Wetspot is a reliable source for paros, as well as US keepers who have obtained paros somehow and have managed to breed them and can ship locally or have them picked up – but these potential breeders are very, very few and far between, so it seems But there are a few and some distributions may be possible.

This was an experiment that had some potential for success, but it did not work out – it could be said it was a failure, but in actuality it was a success. I’ve learned the risk is too great when attempting an international deal with a private seller – too many variables or issues could arise that may or may not be understood or explainable. Many people do successfully use this method of purchase, but still, especially with paros, the risk is too great. And, it appears, no fish were actually sent or lost in the transaction.

This experiment is done.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Ok Bill is in September for the conference in Hamburg, I can give him a few, have some offspring, and may give enough.

David Jones
    Participant

Fantastic, Bernd!! Very gracious and generous of you – I would love to photograph them (breeding more uncertain…) 🙂

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I mean- wow. I have no idea why people do this on Aquabid where you can leave feedback for every transaction. Just in case you happened to not leave one, please do. My experience with buing killifish eggs there is very positive but that might come from the fact that I know who to buy from. It is unpleasant but as you say it, no Paros harmed is good result after all. I wish success with some other species that you get, I know how it feels to badly want a species and how these experiments become tempting 🙂

Gonin herve
    Participant

I use to buy fish fronm indonesian people for many years now I always receive the fish correctly packed and if dead on my next order received a replacement one.I tryed twice Paros and always received them dead.It seems 5/7 days is too long for them when for killies or bettas it is OK.I know than in Malaysia and Indonesia there is many crook people taking the money and never send fish.Just ask experienced people who they buy fish from and it will be OK

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

True, but scammers are everywhere, it simply tries again with breeders of Paroprojects. It is quite right that Paros can not be sent over long period of time. And what is properly packaged? I myself have already sent Paros 8 days on the road were, and they came alive at the enpfänger. Otherwise, I would like once again to our conference on the second weekend of September, out there, there are plenty of Paros. Try to find someone who drives go there or flies and load them bring you even better you visit the conference itself, as far as I know there are minimum offered 15 different Paroarten. 🙁 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.