The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

San Francisco Bay Artemia?

Home Forums Global Methods San Francisco Bay Artemia?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Hello everyone,
    Could anyone tell me where to get a hold of San Farncisco Bay strain of Artemia? Its probably not available in my country at all becouse of its price.
    I wanted to order it directly from Brine Shrimp-direct form the US, but they have a flat shipping rate 60,25 USD for shipments outside US. Given that I wanted to buy a 50g jar (12 bucks), it seems like a nonsence to order it from them. I would use a bigger package for couple years with all the other foods. I mostly need it for the times when I am away from home. Most of my family is able to feed the fry after all those years, but they almost always kill the Rotifera culters for some reason, so I need something for the Paros to be safe. I have a very good Great Salt Lake brine shrimp, but my fry is able to ingest these cca after a week. Thanks for any info.

Peter Finke
    Participant

We have a similar problem all over the world. The best and smallest Artemia cysts are those from the Great Salt Lake in Francisco bay, but they are the most difficult to get because they have become really expensive by now and most aquarists are not willing to pay for it. There are many other offers of cheaper species resp. brands, but mostly the quality is much less convincing.

We have only one company (Sander) in Germany selling true San Francisco Artemia cysts for 89,00 Euros a can (ca. 450 grams). The problem is: Sander is a wholeseller, only pet shops can order there. Here you see his offer (in German):

http://xpets.de/aquaristik/zierfischfutter/aufzucht-und-artemia/104/sanders-artemia-eier-blaue-dose-426g?gclid=CJTr3KWDgMACFeSWtAodIWcA3g

It would sound silly if you live in the U.S. and order San Francisco Artemia cysts from a German wholeseller. There must be American companies selling them, too. But the price is probably very high also over there. Nevertheless, you are fully right, to pay for it. The quality is great, and if stored in the refrigerator the cysts stay alive for years.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Thanks Peter,
    The only problem is that I live in Czech Republic. I will try to talk them in to some less expensive, less expres shipping method first, becouse when I send killifish eggs to US it is much cheaper and it works fine, but even If I am not succesfull, buying from the US is probably still cheaper than buing from Germany. Becouse even with the shipping rate of 60.25 USD the 454g can is only 61 USD so its 120 bucks including shipping. The German one is 89€ without shipping. Seems like buying the big can is worth going for. If anyone is interested you can order it from here: http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c2/San-Francisco-Strain-Brine-Shrimp-Eggs-c24.html

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Hello,

sometimes small amounts of Sander’s artemia are offered at e…y, like here.
    I don’t know this special dealer, but I bought a similar offer last year – it’s absolutely ok, very small nauplia, a very good hatch rate.

Maybe it’s worth trying?

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Do you know this place ?

http://www.ta-aquaculture.com/

I always buy here, but normally the siberian eggs.
    The supplier is very good and helpful

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Thanks very much Helene! This looks really good as they have Artemia franciscana and whats more, they have reasonable shipping costs.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Thanks very much Stefanie. I have Sanders premium brine shrimp, definitely very fine, but in this case you can clearly see they do not even try to hunt the napulii because they are to big for them during the first days. As I removed the parents from the first tank, the fry is quite easy to observe as they do not hide as much as when there are adults in the tank. You can see them to have their own microteritories that at least the strongest youngsters defend against others. As there is plenty of leaves and plants in there I think the biggest and strongest fry defend the places where the water flow brings most of the food. I did not try to isolate any fry without any smaller food yet, but I will definitely try it when I get Artemia franciscana or San Francisco Bay brine shrimp if you want. It would be great if they are able to ingest these, Infusoria are hard to handle well and you are always balancing on edge of either having food that is not valuable enough or having poluted water in the culture. For Rotifera its again a matter of value. Both are reproducing rapidly and have very low energy storing capacity so the fry will most likely grow much faster when or once it is able to ingest Artemia that has huge energetic reserves when freshly hatched.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Oh no, of course there is a statement that they had to put these up so back to the US suppliers 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.