The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Search Parosphromenus for beginners !

Home Forums Global Species Search Parosphromenus for beginners !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nassinvera
    Participant

Hello,
    Here I am 12 and I am very interested in parosphromenus and I would like to know what species is the most “fit” for beginners? I think keeping them in 33 liters.
    I tried to prepare water for paros .. and I made it!
    Water has a potential of hydrogen of 4.5.
    I would dispense the paros that in 4 years because I think that’s how many years do I need to be familiar with paros ..

PS: I translated on Google Translate if there are mistakes I exuse

thank you in advance

Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

Hello Romain,

How easy or difficult Paros are depends on your experience with (blackwater) fishes.

You wrote that you are very young (12), how long do you keep fishes? If you have no experience with other related fishes, I think you should try to keep and breed species that are not endangered. For example Trichopsis pumila. They will help you to get an feeling and an eye for the things that (can) happen in an aquarium, you learn to handle live food cultures for larvae and so on.

When you do this for the next 4 years, you are ready for breeding Paros.

nice greetings
    Patrick

bartian
    Participant

If you manage to prepare water with pH 4,5 at age twelve you sure are very special 😛
    If you have experience with other fish(preferably blackwater fish) I’d say you could try P. linkei or P. sp. “sentang”(or other “common” species).

Peter Finke
    Participant

Romain, I want to encourage you, too, just as Bartian and Patrick did! You seem to be very sensitive as water conditions are concerned, and I think you could try species like P. linkei or P. filamentosus; they are not as fastidious than many others. I should not recommend the undescribed spec. Sentang as the first Paro although it presently might be that variety which is most easily to be found in some pet shops. It is a variety of P. bintan and that needs more exacting care. The two I mentioned are better.
    Do you need addresses of breeders in France (I guess you are from France, is that right? Which town?). If you need addresses, please write to our distribution-service (see the button “distribution”).
    By the way, we have some very young members, and they are doing very well!
    Good luck, Peter

Nassinvera
    Participant

Hello,
    I just read your messages,
    I have 2 years experience with fish!
    I started with betta splendens betta smaragdina then (with 4 successful reproduction), Colisa chuna, Colisa lalia, Colisa labiosa, badis badis, Caridina japonica ..
    I am a member of the CIL-IBSC (or IGL 🙂 )
    Yes, I’m French .. but far from paris!
    For fish food I make a breeding daphnia, mosquito larvae and Infusoria ..

Nassinvera
    Participant

Un liens pour la CIL-IBSC (il y a aussi des amateurs de paros 😉 )

http://cil-ibsc.fr/forum/

Nassinvera
    Participant

Hi, i would like a little more information about parosphromenus maintenance conditions please. Thank for cooperation

VAN BESIEN Hugues
    Participant

Hi!

I’m a french member of the CIL, too, and I have young (subadults) P. linkei in excess. I am living in northern France. Where are you?

I don’t think you can keep your daphnees and moskitos breeding going on in winter, so, you must find another solution for this time.
    You can’t not be satisfied with a good water now, you must have a regular water supply of the same quality, and hartness must be relevant, too, it’s the more important and difficult. Osmosis-water from the pet-shops is’nt good enough, with exception, I mess always more than 50 microsiemens with it. You can only mess very low harness with an electronic device ph-meter, und you have to rework pet-shop water or to have your own device for making good water, or becoming good rainwater.
    That and that and that make money to spend, and always caring. Paro don’t forgive carelessness, or carelessness don’t spare paros
    You can’t keep other fish species with paros, so long you will have them breeding, what is a must for paros aquaristen!

If you come in the CIL meeting in Blois in september, we could meet there. If not, perhaps are people coming who are next your hometown.

If you can convince me before september that you can do it right, and you be an aquarist-born genius, you can have paros from me. I began in the age of 13.but needed many years to learn.
    First breeding colisa lalia with 14. Only one youngfish …
    I have learned by experience, by reading and from older club-members which were very good and knew to share what they knew. First thing I learned was that this or that species was too difficult, and that I must wait before having responsbly it in my tank

First, how long have you experience , and with what sort of fishes?
    Do you wrigt english yourself?
    We can speak french at my private mail: hugues.vanbesien@yahoo.fr

with kind regards

Hugues

Patrick Guhmann
    Participant

Hello Romain,

I keep my Paros in 25l or 45l aquariums. I use 100% RO-water and peat to lower pH. Water conditions are pH 4,3 to 6 (depends on aquarium) and conductivity 20 to 40 microsiemens. To filter the aquariums I use bubble filter with air pump. Substrate is sand or gravel, or lava gravel covered with leaves. I use coconut caves and caves for cichlids and caves for catfish. The aquariums are planted with Javafern, Javamoss, Anubias, Mayaca fluviatilis, small Echinodorus. Good structured aquariums (wood, stones, plants) are important! The surface is covered with Salvinia. Swimming plants are very imortant, because the larvae hide under the surface. Temperature is about 23 to 24°C. Paros are breeding continously but most larvae are eaten by older offspring…

I feed my Paros once a day with artemia and white or black mosquito larvae. They do not like Daphnia.

VAN BESIEN Hugues
    Participant

“They do not like Daphnia.”
    Yes, they can catch only the very little one, or moina daphnias, which are “softer”, without dick crust and spines. Moinas are rare in France and difficult to breed a long time. According the way you are breeding daphnias, can be that other, more interessant food is there, perhaps rotifer, cyclops and so on. P. linkei is a bit taller-mouthed as the other species and not so selective with daphnias, but you can’t rely only on daphnias.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.