The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Sexing young parosphromenus.

Home Forums Global Species Sexing young parosphromenus.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    john walsh
    Participant

At what age(size) do young fish start getting colour in their fins? All the fish in the retailers tank seemed to have clear fins…I am anxious they may all be females, but the retailer thinks not, but is unable to be specific about which Parosphromenus species they are (describing them as the ‘normal type’). I purchased six anyway, and they are acclimatising well, feeding freely on napauli, microworms and dapnia and appreciating a small shoal of boraras brigittae. I will post some pictures soon to aid with species identification, but I would appreciate any help on the issue of fin colouration.
    Thanks,
    J

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I think it depends qiute a bit on which species it is. Some species develop characteristic fin colouration really early, like the parvulus, others it takes a lot longer to figure out, – p. linkei being one.
    I have several species, and f.ex the species such as p. nagyi and p. harveyi – here I think both sexes looking quite similar up to a certain point, – but they become rather big before you are able to see any differences. P. nagyi as I see it, if you have more young males together some of these might ‘hide’ their true identity and appear ‘female’, but most often you will be able to see a very faint coluration in the caudal fin. Very few instances you cannot see this and this is when fish you feared were all female eventually show up to have one or more males in between. But in my opinion this is rather rare, – but it can happen.
    p. harveyi – here I see, when the fish are mature, the males will show clear coluration – also when more males together. Around 5-6 months, or when they have reached grown size. Then they will show the coluration.

But its difficult I know. If you have rather big fish (close to normal size) and they all seem clear in the fin, – theres is after all quite a big risk that they are all females 🙁
    But you are doing the right thing, – provide them with optimal tank setting, – where they feel good, – feed well, provide a few caves, – then if there are males they will surely quickly ‘reveal’ themselves.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

In fact, you know, photoes might be helpfull in both determining the species, (which however is difficult if it is only females :() but also in determining sex

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.