The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

simulating a wet and dry season?

Home Forums Global Methods simulating a wet and dry season?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Morgan
    Participant

‘ello all! I have noticed that all areas within Parosphromenus’s range experience pronounced wet and dry seasons…would simulating these with more/less water changes and variations in food encourage paros to breed? Thankx for your quick replies 🙂

Hi!
    The idea is good, but our tanks are no free floating rivers …. So I don’t see a real context between rain season and our water changes …
    Our frequent water changes have just the job to reduce the germ pressure in the tanks.

My Paros feel that it is breeding season when they get again their black mosquito larvaes in spring!

Peter Finke
    Participant

We are not almighty as your name suggests, Almighty Joshaeus. 7 Zwerge rightly reminds us of the great differences between a twenty liters tank with still waters and a constantly running stream in the dwindling primeval forests of south-east Asia. However, there is one thing that is used by the good breeders: Changing food, suddenly abundant. If you want to instigate a pair to breed, then you organize a big water change in combination with a change in feeding: suddenly there are microrganisms for future larvae and young abundantly around (if you provide them!) and good numbers of good food for the adults. This seems to trigger some reluctant pairs to breed.
    And what is the background? It’s just the beginning of the wet season with lots of rain water and an explosion of infusoriae and other small food. By this you imitate something. But it’s limited to a still water tank of twenty liters. Nevertheless, you can do it and by this you apply your knowledge.

Joshua Morgan
    Participant

OK! Thankx for the quick replies 🙂 By the way, on the topic of food…how do you culture mosquito larvae? Do you simply leave a bucket full of dirty aquarium water and some sort of organic material in the shade for a few days and then dump the entire bucket through a net?

Hi!
    The best organic material are nettles. Not too much in a small bucket.
    I would never ! take all the stuff through a net, you will get too much rubbish with.
    No, the mosquito larvaes need to breath air, therefore they come to the water surface. I take a bucket with fresh water with me and an anthemia sieve. When I see the larvaes hanging under the water surface, I make a quick movement with the sieve through the water at the surface. Then I get them and put them in the fresh water bucket.
    Than I wait a moment for the remaining larvaes in the “old water balcony bucket” to come again to the surface and the same procedure again.
    When I have caught enough for the moment, I take the fresh water bucket to the bathroom and pour the water through the sieve. Than I wash the larves under the moving water in the sieve. Then I feed them to my fish.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.