The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Species ID — possible bintan?

Home Forums Global Species Species ID — possible bintan?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Bogott
    Participant

These were imported as P. quindecim but I’m skeptical. Maybe bintan?

The photos are terrible, but note that I’ve never seen these fish displaying dramatic lateral bands like other species. Also, the photo subject is definitely a male; I pulled him off a nest of eggs to take the shot.

Now that it’s hot in the fishroom they’re spawning frequently but I only get a handful of fry from each spawn; often only one or two.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Those are p.nagyi.

When I saw the photo I thought that the fish looked really sick, but reading on I understand its a stressed fish, – why pull it off a nest with eggs ? It stresses the male a lot.

Anyway, – why are you only getting a few surviving fry, – there could be many reasons …

1) you havent yet noticed 🙂 … sometimes theres a lot of fry but you dont see them before they are really about 1 cm. In particularly if you have leaves and stuff in the tank
    2) you are having the female in the tank, and she has a tendencency to eat her off spring. It happens
    3) do you feed the fry ?

Peter Finke
    Participant

One can even be more precise:

This is very clearly a male P. nagy in der terra typica-Form Kuantan. The caudal indicates definitey Kuantan (as opposed to Cherating or other variants) because of two markers: the broad white band inside the fin (as opposed to a blueish with Cherating) and the free spins overshooting the fin at the end which are very typical for nagyi Kuantan.

You should be happy for getting this species and form. It is ridiculous to sell it as “quindecim”. Nobody with eyes in the head and some brain can get these two confused, even females not.
    Peter Finke

Andrew Bogott
    Participant

I’m thrilled to get such a quick and definitive ID! Thank you!

Regarding fry and nesting — I never had any fry appear spontaneously in the tank (despite frequent bbs feeding), so I’ve been watching the cave (it’s a little capped PVC tube) until the fry on the nest are almost free-swimming and then pouring the tube out into a fry box and returning the parent to the original tank (or, in yesterday’s case, into a photo box.)

If you think the male won’t bother the fry (but the female will) I could try transfering cave+male into another tank and leaving them together.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I have never experienced a male eating fry – in the cave. That would also be a little contradictionary. He is committed to taking care of the fry while in the nest, so he wont eat them. Even after they leave the cave he is likely to not bother them. But female are famous for doing it.
    I have transferred cave with male and fry, after they hatched, but before leaving cave.
    I normally get a lot more fry this way.
    Regarding seing fry once they leave the cave, – its quite likely that you dont see them, even going for artemia etc. – but of course if you clear the tank – there wont be any left.
    But they hide, and they take one or two artemia which happens to swim to the back of the tank, – the fry dont nessesarely go where the artemia are, – or they live of something else in the tank, smaller things, – who knows.
    I am not saying this has to be the case with your fry, – I am only saying that this is what people normally experience with paro fry. You dont think you have any, but you do. You may not see them at all before they are rather big, and you wonder every time – how do they manage to excape you searching the tank like a detective with flash light and all sorts of things.
    🙂

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

By the way, – I am curious a little – where did you get these ? I see you are in the States, and we get lots of inquiries from the states – so its interesting to know where you got them ?

Andrew Bogott
    Participant

> By the way, — I am curi­ous a lit­tle — where did you get these ?

From Wet Spot in Portland. They seem to get a few different species there off and on; I assume they’re giving them whatever names the importer assigns. Right now they’re listing ‘Paradise Licorice Gourami Parosphromenus bintan’

I will try moving the male with the hatchlings next time! We’ll see if I get more than a couple of fry that way.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Okay, – so …
    🙂 – people are often looking for fish with proper id in the states, so if you get a lot of fry, dont forget to let us know, or write it here in forum – we might be able to connect you with people who are looking.
    I do know distances is often a problem, but still – you may be able to help each other out.
    It would be really valuable to hold on to a species as the one you have here and to spread it to different people.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.